MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: convert private Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

since several years I am using a private Forum written in Pearl.
The Messages (some 550000) are stored in an mySQL Database.

I really want to convert this DB to myBB, but I'm not sure how.
The old Database contains Informations like Users, Threads, Messages and PrivateMessages which I want to convert. I also want to keep the Informations like CreationDate and Time.

With my limited knowledge in PHP I think I coud write a small php-Script to convert the Data, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the myBB functions.
So I need initial aid to make this working.
Is there something like a Funktion to insert the old Data like
NewUser(name, ...)
NewPosting(forum, title, text, CreationDate, ...)
?

since the old forum is proprietary, I only need to do this once.
So the programming doesn't have to be perfect.

Kind regards,
Ednax
You'll need to hire someone. I used to do this for between $50 and $150 depending on the complexity and whether I could resell the module I wrote for it or not... but I've not done that in several months now. Almost a year really. Still, if you're desperate and willing to pay for it, let me know. I can always use the money, especially this time of year.
$75 and i'll make the script for you. You pay when the script is done (just in case i'm unable to do it), then you get it. All i need up front is the database export.
(2011-12-02, 01:56 AM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]$75 and i'll make the script for you. You pay when the script is done (just in case i'm unable to do it), then you get it. All i need up front is the database export.

I love how you can just throw a figure out there w/out having seen the software or the db from it. Anyone who knows the merge system knows it isn't always as simple as all that.
Never said i was going to use the merge system? Something that will only be used once will be easier to write something custom.
(2011-12-02, 02:44 AM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]Never said i was going to use the merge system? Something that will only be used once will be easier to write something custom.

Not really. With the way the merge system is designed you already have all the data validation tools and everything neccessary, which simplifies the process. Not to mention it gives you the loginconvert plugin so that the users don't all have to reset their passwords.
Thank you for the offer, but actually I want to do it myself.
I just need a hint where to start.
Easiest way would probably be to create a query that will loop and create the new data in the mybb database. If you want, could you give me a db dump with just one or two rows from each table and i'll make it for free, just to prove to Dylan that i can ^^ lol. If you really just look at the merge system board modules and try to make your own based off one
The old DB-structure is simple an I can loop it without any problems.
But I don't want to insert the Data with SQL.
To avoid DB-inconsistence in the new DB, I want to use the myBB-Functions to create Postings, Users etc.
Maybe I just need to take the time and look through the coding of the merge system to find the functions to do it.
(2011-12-02, 12:41 PM)ednax Wrote: [ -> ]The old DB-structure is simple an I can loop it without any problems.
But I don't want to insert the Data with SQL.
To avoid DB-inconsistence in the new DB, I want to use the myBB-Functions to create Postings, Users etc.
Maybe I just need to take the time and look through the coding of the merge system to find the functions to do it.

The merge system is very easy to create new modules for. You should be able to write a module set for your custom forum very easily.
Pages: 1 2