MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Still using twig?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I'm curious to know if you guys still plan on using twig since it seem the yii extension to integrate twig hasn't been updated in awhile(while twig has had a good amount of updates).

Now I don't know but will it will still work? Because, twig also got a few security updates in that time.
http://www.yiiframework.com/extensions/?tag=twig (Twig Extension for Yii : last update 5 months ago)
http://blog.twig.sensiolabs.org/ (Twig : last update 2 weeks ago)

It seems that the extension developers are sleeping, what will happen if MyBB 2.0 is developed using Yii and Twig, and then the framework or the template engine closes the developement?

Seriously, I wish MyBB team makes an official announcement and decides not to use any frameworks, is it that hard to code in basic PHP??
Well, the developers know a lot more than we do about the choice of yii and twig. It is easy for us to say "don't use any frameworks", it is sometimes better when you are one of the people coding it.

Personally, I would not want a framework, it would shake up themes and templates A LOT, but I am not in charge and just need to live with their decisions.
We're using a framework.

As for Twig, I'm waiting to see what Yii 2.0 brings to us to decide whether it's worth doing something with it. Good idea, but bad implementation with Yii.
(2011-12-22, 01:55 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]We're using a framework.

As for Twig, I'm waiting to see what Yii 2.0 brings to us to decide whether it's worth doing something with it. Good idea, but bad implementation with Yii.

Well, if you are looking at Yii 2.0, it might be a bad thing. Yii 2.0 is going to be a build on top of PHP 5.3+, yet a LOT of web hosts are back on the old stable version, 5.2.17. This might stop MyBB from working in a bunch of environments.

At least - that is how I understand it from their website.
(2011-12-22, 05:36 PM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-22, 01:55 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]We're using a framework.

Well, if you are looking at Yii 2.0, it might be a bad thing. Yii 2.0 is going to be a build on top of PHP 5.3+, yet a LOT of web hosts are back on the old stable version, 5.2.17. This might stop MyBB from working in a bunch of environments.

At least - that is how I understand it from their website.

Considering that MyBB 2.0 is not going to be released tomorrow that shouldn't be problem once it's finally out.
I don't know. I have mentioned it to my host a couple of times, and it seems they are reluctant to do so for fear of breaking people's sites.

So, it will be a mystery I guess.
While on this topic, if my host had dropped in PHP 5.3.8, hypothetically, would everything in myBB work?

Okay - I am done with my minor derailments now. We can get back to Twig (provided there is anything else to say Smile)...
@GamerVoid: You mean would MyBB work in PHP 5.3.8 right now? Yes. I use the latest PHP build on my VPS with no problems at all.
(2011-12-22, 07:02 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]@GamerVoid: You mean would MyBB work in PHP 5.3.8 right now? Yes. I use the latest PHP build on my VPS with no problems at all.

Same here. If it breaks peoples' sites, so what? They should be keeping their code up to date anyways. And updating from 5.2.x to 5.3.x is pretty easy. Just a couple things got deprecated. AFAIK nothing is downright broken.
That's my opinion too. Thanks euantor for that info.

@Dylan - I agree, but at the end of the day, they are in charge, and I need to deal with it. I have done my own research on 5.2 to 5.3, and so I wonder if they might want to do it with their datacenter move coming in the next several days...

Hrmm. Might need to suggest upgrading in the move. Smile

````````````````````````````````````````
Yep - they are upgrading to 5.3.6 in the move, as well as MySQL 5.1. Yay!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6