MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Notification system idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Do you know how many On/Off options there are in MyBB?? Sometimes I get lost...

(2011-12-31, 09:39 AM)kjaonline Wrote: [ -> ]This is the main feature that brought me to xenforo and I'm really hoping that this feature gets pushed through to MyBB. Doesn't have to be forced to hosts though, an option to turn on or off would be nice.

Or alternatively, updates can only happen every 15 minutes or more/less to remove strain on the server (not a coder here so just throwing this out there)
Quote:That'd still run a query check if that setting is enabled or not

No. That's want the globals are for. All settings are loaded into $mybb->settings. No new query is run.
(2011-12-31, 01:55 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-31, 09:39 AM)kjaonline Wrote: [ -> ]This is the main feature that brought me to xenforo and I'm really hoping that this feature gets pushed through to MyBB. Doesn't have to be forced to hosts though, an option to turn on or off would be nice.
That'd still run a query check if that setting is enabled or not, so still the load will remain. prydine made something similar to that you're asking (like an activity feed as that in Vanilla), check that out.

Have you ever seen how mybb settings are loaded? didn't you ever look at the 'inc/settings.php' file?

I still think this would be a bad idea for core though.

EDIT: Damn. didn't see labrocca's post :'(
(2011-12-31, 01:55 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]That'd still run a query check if that setting is enabled or not, so still the load will remain. prydine made something similar to that you're asking (like an activity feed as that in Vanilla), check that out.
That's not a big problem if the query is fast (this is why 10 fast queries are better than 1 very slow query). Moreover settings could be cached.

However I don't really like this approach.

I'd prefer a notification bar with a concept similar to the Android notification bar.

We could use it for messages notifications, calendar events notifications, thread subscriptions notifications, moderation notifications, announcements notifications etc.

[Image: just-like-previous-versions-of-android-y...ations.jpg]
(2012-01-04, 11:42 AM)ekerazha Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-31, 01:55 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]That'd still run a query check if that setting is enabled or not, so still the load will remain. prydine made something similar to that you're asking (like an activity feed as that in Vanilla), check that out.
That's not a big problem if the query is fast (this is why 10 fast queries are better than 1 very slow query). Moreover settings could be cached.

I'd prefer a notification bar with a concept similar to the Android notification bar.

We could use it for messages notifications, calendar events notifications, thread subscriptions notifications, moderation notifications, announcements notifications etc.

The problem with that approach is that it was designed for a touch based interface. Would that really work for a forum based mostly on clicking?
(2012-01-04, 06:43 PM)DavidTobin Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with that approach is that it was designed for a touch based interface. Would that really work for a forum based mostly on clicking?

I said "similar" not "identical" Smile
(2012-01-04, 06:43 PM)DavidTobin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-01-04, 11:42 AM)ekerazha Wrote: [ -> ]

The problem with that approach is that it was designed for a touch based interface. Would that really work for a forum based mostly on clicking?

Sure it can. Another way you can go about doing this is using something like jQuery. There is already many notification plugins available for use. One written by a friend of mine called Notifly. You have given me an idea. Out of boredom I may re-create iOS with HTML :L.
Forget the intensive resource, I flat out find this type of notification system annoying.

This doesn't need to be a MyBB 2.0 feature, if you want it that bad, you can get it done as a plugin.
I'm using a feature like this on my forum www.runegear.net, custom coded, running on a shared host with no lag (Australian to canadian connection), 5k daily PV and 60 second checks. Just wanting to clarify that's it's not as resource intensive as everyone thinks.
I dont see anything really terrible there. First you make table where stuff like "User XYZ replied in thread ZYX" is noted down. Now user has three columns: "followed", "monits" and "last_monit_update". After you get user data for session you see if "last_monit_update" is older than, for example, 5 minutes. If it is, you run count on monits table where user_id IN (followed) and update monits and last_monit_update. If user wants up to date monits he still has to enter "activity feed" page.

And to keep monits page at reasonable sizes you add task to kill activities older than X days, after all its to show current activity, not be record of entire users activity since beginning of days.
Pages: 1 2 3