MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Notification system idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
No that feature is not needed on MyBB!
I will definitely not like if an annoying message informs me of all those who reply / quote my posts, plus...

(2012-01-05, 08:42 AM)Rafio Wrote: [ -> ]I dont see anything really terrible there. First you make table where stuff like "User XYZ replied in thread ZYX" is noted down. Now user has three columns: "followed", "monits" and "last_monit_update". After you get user data for session you see if "last_monit_update" is older than, for example, 5 minutes. If it is, you run count on monits table where user_id IN (followed) and update monits and last_monit_update. If user wants up to date monits he still has to enter "activity feed" page.

And to keep monits page at reasonable sizes you add task to kill activities older than X days, after all its to show current activity, not be record of entire users activity since beginning of days.

HF (the biggest MyBB powered forum) has 1000 active users in every 3 minutes, just imagine if MyBB 2.0 adds that useless table to the database, HF forum will be 1GB larger than it is right now...

If MyBB 2.0 includes that "facebook wannabe" feature, I'd rather stay on 1.6!
1 GB is a much, especially for data that you dont have to backup or dump when you move. Wink
Are we Facebook now? WTF...
(2012-01-05, 05:58 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Are we Facebook now? WTF...

Yeah exactly.
I can't say how annoyed I am with the "instant" notifications.
The XenForo ones don't seem very helpful. Please don't add to MyBB 2...
I don't exactly agree that this is FB, but if it was something that can be controlled by disabling it, this would benefit many people. I say add it but ensure it is turned off upon MyBB installation/upgrade, and then it can be turned on/off through ACP.
If this was implemented correctly I believe it would be beneficial. I do not see a problem with a menu displaying the latest activity for a certain user. This isn't a social based addition, it simply serves as a director of content which in turn will increase community involvement and activity.
First, a disclaimer - this is only partially helpful, as it suggests an alternative way of getting notifications rather than a way this could be implemented in MyBB.

Suggestion: This need not be implemented as a MyBB feature, or even a plugin, as notifications for, well, just about anything, can be achieved by pointing a change-watcher such as Specto at whatever one wants to watch. In this case, the whole-forum ATOM feed would seem ideal. Note that Specto is effectively Linux-only, but I'm sure an equivalent exists for Windows and other platforms.

OK, it's not quite live, but do we honestly need to know faster than no-later-than-five-minutes (or fifteen minutes, or whatever one sets one's update frequency to) that someone has posted? Frankly, as far as I can see, no. I suppose if it were a large and very active forum, something might be missed, but that's why one would add a watch on a feed that contains only that which one is interested in.
Pages: 1 2 3