MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Trashcan/softdelete
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
If you offer post deletion as an upgraded account feature, they can't have their accounts stolen and everything deleted.
Same applies for stolen moderator accounts, or those who decide they hate the site and want to delete everything.
Soft delete prevents this easily.
Only superadmins should have the purge or proper delete function.
(2012-01-11, 01:53 AM)Alan Shepperson Wrote: [ -> ]What would be the difference between soft delete and and the current unapprove?

You can already create a trash can forum and use a custom Moderator Tool to "delete" to that forum?

The number of unapproved thread is displayed in the forums list.
The number of deleted messages should not be shown.
(2012-01-11, 01:53 AM)Alan Shepperson Wrote: [ -> ]What would be the difference between soft delete and and the current unapprove?

You can already create a trash can forum and use a custom Moderator Tool to "delete" to that forum?

That's all very well but most mods will probably just hit the delete button then the post is vanished, what soft delete or trash would do is either remove it from view in to a forum that only staff can see or remove it from the forum and have it diplayed in the acp or modcp so it can be easily restored, alot of other software has this feature, smf and ipb to name a couple both have it as core.
(2012-01-11, 02:56 AM)cfillion Wrote: [ -> ]

Only to moderators. and it's not in the regular count, it's in parenthesis.
Also you have more control over softdelete/trashcan as you canselect which user groups can view the deleted threads, for example using the trashcan forum plugin I have it set so only admins can view that certain forum so even if mods hit the delete button instead of just unapproving or using the moderation option, It simply move the thread to the trash forum where i can review it when i come on to the forum.
This would be a really nice feature. I don't think they would release it in the 1. edition though. Maybe in 2.0
(2012-01-11, 12:03 PM)USAF Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-01-11, 02:56 AM)cfillion Wrote: [ -> ]

Only to moderators. and it's not in the regular count, it's in parenthesis.

Yes I know, but if I want to "soft delete" a thread by disapproving, it will be added to the number of subjects awaiting approval.
The number soft-deleted thread should not be displayed (except in admincp/modcp).

I also think that a list of all soft deleted threads would be a good idea in admincp and modcp.

I hope that it will get implemented in 2.0 or earlier.
I viewed a thread like this like 4 years ago and out of curiosity I did a search because I still needed a feature like this. I'm surprised this is still not a feature of MyBB. Soft deleting is a great way for moderators to review actions of a user without having to go off the forum to discuss what happened. Things such as spam, off-topic posts, inappropriate posts, illegal material can be soft deleted and the user banned/warned but the post can still be viewed for review if ever needed.
I like the feature as, some moderators will just delete a post unesscesarrily and with this feature, as a admin I can review the post and restore it if i think it was wrongly deleted, with out the featurre the post will be lost forever.
No offense intended but to be frank it's kinda embarrasing for MyBB to not have a soft-delete feature as this is really a must-have-function in all serious websites. If this won't be implemented in MyBB 2.0 then I'm afraid I have to switch to a commercial forum software.
Pages: 1 2 3