MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Trashcan/softdelete
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It will be a part of 2.0.

No offense, but soft-delete is not a must have feature on any website. The only reason why soft-delete is required is if you have a large forum where you don't have enough, capable, moderators. The existing unapprove system is, IMO, much better than any soft-delete method - but I can see why people like it so much.

You can already use custom moderator tools in 1.6 to do this without a plugin.
I see your point Tomm but i also know some moderators will just hit the delete button in the post and that will be the post gone forever, another way to prevent this is not give moderators permission to delete which is often what i do, but it's just nice to have that feature so when you hit the delete button it don't delete it completely and can be restored later another example would be if members are allowed to delete there own posts, and they get angry at the forum and go on a rampage deleting their threads, with the feature you can restore the posts after either banning them or removing the permission for them to delete.
I get the features and benefits adbrad, but ultimately that user who goes on the rampage should be allowed to remove their threads if they want; a moderator who can't follow simple instructions, IMO, shouldn't be a moderator.

It's obviously a requirement for forums to have this feature though, even if MyBB 1.6 currently has the capability anyway without the delete button.
People keep saying about moderator tools being used to softdelete or move to a trash forum,maybe one of these people should make a tutorial or link to it if already exists.
at the moment i am using the plugin but not sure if it is compatiable with 1.6.5.
The unapprove system is not a suitable replacement of a soft-delete feature. It's purpose is to save posts of members without publishing them. Moderators can review them and then decide whether or not to approve. That's why those unapproved posts are going in the moderator queue. Members can not see posts that are unapproved.

The purpose of a soft-delete feature is to deliberately delete junk of members but with the option of restoring them. Links to deleted posts are usually listed in a separate place in the Mod-CP, the trashcan. Unlike unapproved posts they are not listed in the moderator queue. Further, unlike unapproved posts, members are able to see deleted posts or actually moderator messages like "This post has been deleted by moderator X. Reason: Flaming".

An unapprove system and a soft-delete system are two different things with their own purposes, really.

A modern forum solution should have both features out of the box and shouldn't rely on third party plugins to do the job.
Dont know if this has been mentioned before in this thread

I have a closed threads forum which only mods and admins can see so if we move a thread there its is "soft-deleted"

So i dont know why people keep going on about unapprove posts when i can just click a button and it closes the thread and moves it to that forum
(2012-02-07, 11:05 AM)TMGFX Wrote: [ -> ]Dont know if this has been mentioned before in this thread

I have a closed threads forum which only mods and admins can see so if we move a thread there its is "soft-deleted"

So i dont know why people keep going on about unapprove posts when i can just click a button and it closes the thread and moves it to that forum

Yes, I do that also.
But what about replys?
And how do you know from which forum they come?
Pages: 1 2 3