MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: DO NOT use: InMotion Hosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2012-01-16, 09:35 PM)bradm Wrote: [ -> ]You appear to be right on the money! Check out:

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/wIlnCWhZ...age-4.html

My information was in reference to my own sites, not MyBB.com

That user's already changed service, by that I mean he's no longer on that Shared Plan.

But there is once huge conflict of statement.

You mentioned InMotion would never suspend a site, he mentions that's happened several times.

I never stated a data connection limit, I was only making it clear what I mean by 60 - 100 users online at once.

His site has very few images, it was a very generic MyBB install, not even customized.
But, revealing is up to him. I'm not going to cross that territory as it's his site in which I got by PM, he didn't post it in public.
Hi weBex!

Quote:You mentioned InMotion would never suspend a site, he mentions that's happened several times.

What I had stated was:

Quote:For example if your resource usage hits "####', we don't have a script that will automatically suspend you. As long as the server is running fine, we're not going to stir things up and suspend anyone's account.

I apologize if there was any confusion, what I meant was that if there is not a problem on the server, we're not going to suspend someone. However, if there is a real problem on the server, we cannot allow one website to cause a performance issue for everyone else on the server. In that scenario, we will suspend an account in order to prevent further issues.

If you're in a group of 10 cars doing 70MHP on the highway when the limit is 55MPH, as long as everyone is going with the flow of traffic usually no one is going to pull you over and give you a ticket (in my experience). That's is an example of how we police our servers. Even if you're technically breaking the law, as long as everyone is keeping a safe distance and doesn't taligate, there's not really a problem. HOWEVER, in the same scenario, when someone decides to run 100MPH+ and weave in and out of traffic, they're increasing the chances of an accident and making things a bit dangerous, and we will step in and take some action.

We could spend all day going back and forth with these issues. In summary, I would just like to say that if you are having a problem with a website, sometimes it pays to hire a developer who has experience to come in and do a complete analysis on the situation. It's going to be hard to call tech support and speak for 15 minutes and completely resolve resource related issues. I would suggest taking some time to learn how to use a tool, such as YSLOW, and taking a look at all the various stats they show. Not only does YSLOW give you details, but they link to documentation on how to resolve any of the issues you're having.

Thanks,
- Brad
(2012-01-16, 10:17 PM)bradm Wrote: [ -> ]Hi weBex!

Quote:You mentioned InMotion would never suspend a site, he mentions that's happened several times.

What I had stated was:

Quote:For example if your resource usage hits "####', we don't have a script that will automatically suspend you. As long as the server is running fine, we're not going to stir things up and suspend anyone's account.

I apologize if there was any confusion, what I meant was that if there is not a problem on the server, we're not going to suspend someone. However, if there is a real problem on the server, we cannot allow one website to cause a performance issue for everyone else on the server. In that scenario, we will suspend an account in order to prevent further issues.

Hmmph, I see.
I never had the suspension, so you can see why that's a bother to me.
I appreciate you trying to work things out, not many hosts would.

But I'm still on my side of opinion, since you haven't shed the information of clients per server.

And comparing my site to ollie, that had 50 queries and a higher load of visitors in the span of 15-30 minutes, I find InMotion insufficient in the long run.
An OKAY starting point.

Hello there weBex,

Let me first say that I always look forward to your replies. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

Quote:But I'm still on my side of opinion, since you haven't shed the information of clients per server.

When you think about, "clients per server" doesn't really shed all the details about a server. Are you familiar with cPanel (the info below references cPanel terms)?

Let's say, InMotion Hosting only allowed 500 users per server. That doesn't mean that only 500 websites are going to be on the server. We have some plans that allow for 5 addon domains, and others that allow up to 24 separate websites. If we told you we only put 500 users on a server, that would be very misleading. What if all 500 users hosted 6 separate websites? For example, all 500 users as web designers, and so they host multiple clients on one shared hosting account. That's 500 * 6, or 3000 separate websites. Would you say that there is a difference between 500 users vs. 3000 websites? I would say so. 500 users with 500 websites is much different than 500 users with 3000 websites. What really matters is the number of websites that a server runs.

Then again, that number could be misleading. Let's take a look at 5000 websites. Dose that mean 5000 websites, or does that mean 5000 domains? You could have 5000 domains, and out of those 5000, 2000 of them are parked domains that simply load the main domain. For example, if domain.com domain.net domain.org domain.biz, even though you're looking at 4 domains, they all still load the same website. So that means that you're looking at 1 website, not 4.

Also, not everyone uses their website. Some users have a domain name and only use it for customized email addresses. If I use domain.com only for email, then it wouldn't be fair to count it as a "website" as technically it's only handling email traffic.

You'd also be amazed at how may people get excited about getting a website only, so they decide to purchase shared hosting and experiment with WordPress. Many of those users realize (as I'm sure you know) that managing a website is not always as easy as it sounds. They may have a website and give up on it after a few weeks. So, it may count as one of those 5000 websites, but it does not get any traffic so it does not have any real affect on the server.

That's a big thing to consider. Out of 5000 sites, how many are "websites"? Do they mean 5000 domain names share the same IP address? If so, how many of those domain names are parked domains, used only email, or are abandoned websites?

Please keep in mind that the number of domain names that share an IP address does not always reflect whether a sever is oversold or not.

Quote:But I'm still on my side of opinion, since you haven't shed the information of clients per server.

I admire that you feel so strongly! With two people (such as ourselves) with such strong opinions, neither will be easily converted to the other side. I hope my explanation above has shed a bit more light on "clients per server" though.

Quote:And comparing my site to ollie, that had 50 queries and a higher load of visitors in the span of 15-30 minutes, I find InMotion insufficient in the long run.

You may be right, you may be wrong. Without looking at all the details, I can't really say for sure. I'm just saying that with a lack of detail, it's hard to say if one host is "good" or not. I've devoted quite a bit of time in here today, I just hope to convey that we really care and if you give us a chance, we're happy to help.

I'm out for the night, have a good evening weBex, I expect a reply in the morning!

Take care,
- Brad
Anyone else really enjoy the metaphors and similes brad used? Thought I'd take this completely off-topic because I'm one badass individual.
(2012-01-16, 10:50 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else really enjoy the metaphors and similes brad used? Thought I'd take this completely off-topic because I'm one badass individual.

Before tonight, I didn't think it was possible for anyone to outdo the definition of 'patronising', but that's something Brad has clearly achieved.

I can't resist a war of words, so I'm off to craft a response to a number of the posts in this thread.
Hi everyone,

Quote:Before tonight, I didn't think it was possible for anyone to outdo the definition of 'patronising', but that's something Brad has clearly achieved.

Quote:patronising - To treat as inferior unduly, talk down to, treat condescendingly.

Really @vividWire? I'm going to have a hard time sleeping tonight because of those comments Smile And that proves my point entirely. I've been off of work for a few hours now, its getting late, and I still care enough to check in here to see what's going on.

I've mentioned before that I really care about what I do and what my company does. When I see statements that InMotion Hosting is not a good host, I try to find out why so that either:
1. I can find out what the problem is and fix it
2. I can clear any up confusion / help answer questions

I've lived and breathed hosting for over 4 years. Like I said I've done everything from Tier 1 tech support to System Administration to Training. While I try to think of myself as humble, I have quite a bit of experience in the field, I like to think of myself as an expert. At the same time, I'm also open to learning from those that have even more experience than I do. So if you have something to say, I'm all ears.

Those that know me around the office know that I have a habit of saying, "OK, this is my last thing I have to say". While this may not be the last thing to say, I hope we can call somewhat of a truce here.

@weBex,

I must admin that I won't be able to give you all the answers you're looking for. As with my highway / speedlimit analogy, if the police department released a statement that said even though the speed limit is 55MPH but they won't issue tickets until you hit 71MPH, than many people would take advantage of this. In the same aspect, if I gave you all the details on how we manage our servers, people would take advantage of this. It's the same reason that Google does not explain to the world every aspect of their search algorithm. If everyone knew how Google worked, they would use it to their advantage to get to the top of the rankings.

'patronising' or not, I continue to stand by my previous statements. If you want to talk numbers, let's talk numbers. I won't say that InMotion Hosting is the best web hosting company that ever will be, but we are good at what we do and we take pride in what we do. If you can prove a point and call InMotion Hosting out on mistakes we're making, then by all means do so. We'll learn from our mistakes and become a better hosting company. I'd like to fix what's broken and continue doing what we do best. All that I ask is that you are willing to talk.

Thanks again,
- Brad
(2012-01-17, 01:03 AM)vividWire Wrote: [ -> ]Before tonight, I didn't think it was possible for anyone to outdo the definition of 'patronising', but that's something Brad has clearly achieved.

I can't resist a war of words, so I'm off to craft a response to a number of the posts in this thread.

Disagree, it's not patronising. I actually find it pleasantly fresh that he'd go to this much effort, that's a sign of good support right there. He has long explained replies and pushes his point further with those enjoyable metaphors.

GOOD FOR YOU BRAD <3.
InMotion Hosting going the extra mile here. I might consider trying your service some time in the future Big Grin
just read this, although i am much satisfied with my current hosting, i definitely would try Inmotion as long as BradM is there for my next future Hosting requirements.

After sales service for me is very important and top that with straight to the point answers. no one wants to waste time specially if your website is down.

InMotion is lucky to have Bradm and i hope they acknowledge that as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6