MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Paid Subscription Function
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yea, Jammerx2 stated the perfect reason why we shouldn't have it.
I think intent from MyBB has to be considered. If they want to really directly compete with VB/IPB or other serious commercial software then it must consider commercial aspects for admins. That includes ad positions and subscriptions. Adding both is really not that difficult from a developer perspective as most payment processors offer APIs and existing code.

Adding it via a plugin is simple enough too but then again having it in base is likely going to attract more people to the project.
I really don't like when forum software or CMS's get bloated with features used by a small fraction of its users. I would assume that most people looking for a forum software don't just look at the base features but what can be done as a whole.
(2012-01-22, 11:57 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-01-21, 11:31 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, check Tera donation, it also has more than 5 payment modules, so it won't be that hard to get 3 basic processors.

Those two posts made my day lol.
It might make you lol but it won't be that hard for devs like you when such experts like you, Jammer,etc already worked out on such a subscription system.

I agree with Labrocca to a greater extent, many of the forums does run on a commercial based system. Say a hosting forum which is integrated with any such things, a business or related forums. Am not telling it to clog up and make everything in a day or a night and make it a next version release, no. Do it slowly.

Many thinks that this can be used as plugin, fine, agreeable. But the era created by forums in these days are such when you need to accomplish some advance features as well. Payment modules does attract thousands of users, no doubt.

I've never worked off with a subscription system, but I did worked up on setting donation page and upgrade page for a site I used to run about an year back (payments made via PayPal were called after navigating back to the forum and system used to move it to the specified usergroup automatically.), however it was not a subscription plugin but it was relatively similar.

PayPal, AP and LR has APIs or IPN which makes things relatively easy.

However am no one to speak from everybody's site but just my thoughts that this should be considered for future projects, if not feeling it suitable for now.

(2012-01-28, 01:16 AM)Jammerx2 Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't like when forum software or CMS's get bloated with features used by a small fraction of its users. I would assume that most people looking for a forum software don't just look at the base features but what can be done as a whole.
I agree with you, but again it can be turned off or on depending upon the genre and the owners wish.

Anyways, just my two cents.
For me, paid subscriptions (and responsive design) is mandatory for me to use a forum script. When a forum community grows to the point it's costing the owner money, the ability to lay out ads and charge for memberships that won't see those ads is imperative. The last thing a successful forum owner needs is to be chasing down plugin developers for updates when they've moved on to other interests...

Simple ad layouts are also important. And now that search engines like Google will be demoting websites that are not mobile friendly, responsive design is also on this "must have" list.

These are options that professional software offer.
Perhaps something that should be part of 2.0 is a bunch of plugins that are official. With easier installation that will likely come with the future, installing it won't be hard. These official plugins would be on the top of the list recommended and checked for bugs by the team.

I really think including a lot of the most used plugins would just add clutter that a lot of people might not use.
I like this idea!
Hi,

Your MyBB 2.0 suggestion has unfortunately been rejected. Your suggestion does not fit with the direction that MyBB is heading in as a project at this time.
Pages: 1 2 3