MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Copyrighting A MyBB Theme [Admin Please Read]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

I've designed a MyBB theme which I'm going to be releasing here for free, but I have a quick inquiry about the theme.

I'm wanting to have it so people can use the theme willingly, but if you're to change the copyright, or customize it further than a banner, then it would require a $5 fee each. I am doing this, but I was just wondering what I could do about it if someone was to disregard the fee and to go ahead and change it anyway. Any information from fellow members would be great, but I'm mainly looking for an answer from the 'higher ups'.

Oh, P.S, can I please have a name change also?

Thanks for reading,
~BreShiE
can't comment about theme copyrights ; for the name change, you have to post in private inquiries section
You could write up a DMCA notice first to owner and if hes not willing to do negotiation, write a DMCA to his host.
(2012-01-24, 03:50 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]You could write up a DMCA notice first to owner and if hes not willing to do negotiation, write a DMCA to his host.

What would be the correct way to write this? I've never heard about it before.
I'd show you in a short and quick manner, later for detailed complaint, you could google "DMCA format"

Quote:Hello,

I am the creator of so and so theme, published here (replace here with MyBB official releases and mods site link). I could see that the site -enter site URL here- is hosted by your company and is using my theme without leaving the copyrights and the credits intact. I've tried to contact the owner of the website and got no replies till date and as a result am writing this copyright infringement notice to you to warn the owner of this website or either ask to leave my copyrights intact or remove the infringing material.

Regards,

Name.

That should do.

(2012-01-24, 04:23 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]I'd show you in a short and quick manner, later for detailed complaint, you could google "DMCA format"

Quote:Hello,

I am the creator of so and so theme, published here (replace here with MyBB official releases and mods site link). I could see that the site -enter site URL here- is hosted by your company and is using my theme without leaving the copyrights and the credits intact. I've tried to contact the owner of the website and got no replies till date and as a result am writing this copyright infringement notice to you to warn the owner of this website or either ask to leave my copyrights intact or remove the infringing material.

Regards,

Name.

That should do.

Your going to need something more formal than that for most hosts to take action.
I've got 5 of the sites removed who removed copyrights. Sometimes less words gets the job done smoothly.
I would point the information that Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a United States copyright law and it's limited to the U.S. and only applies to Web hosts and search engines located within the country.

Waving with DMCA notice on non-US based host isn't going to work since that host dosen't have any obligation to obey US laws.For sending warnings / takedown notices on sites that are hosted in one of EU countries you will need to fill Copyright Directive (European DMCA counterpart which applies only to 27 EU member states).For other countries you will need to read that countries laws (which contains sentences about copyright stuff) before sending any notices.If you like that scheme color that doesn't mean that next 10 people are going to agree with you.

Quote:I'm wanting to have it so people can use the theme willingly, but if you're to change the copyright, or customize it further than a banner, then it would require a $5 fee each.

Almost all themes on mybb mod site can be edited for personal use without paying any fees.Those edits include scheme color,images,templates and stylesheet.Changing border colors,font size,text color,some templates or any other stuff is a matter of personal taste.

I would advise you to think about your decision twice since charcing money for few edits on scheme color,border color or image is not a good idea (just my personal opinion).
you can't just say it is copyright though can you? you actually have to have it registered.
Pages: 1 2