MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why is MyBB free?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2012-01-26, 12:59 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-01-25, 07:54 PM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB was supposed to be paid, but honestly, going against VB and IPB, I bet Chris just didn't have the heart to put them out of business.

Where did you get that idea? Chris has never stated such a thing. You shouldn't even joke about something like that.

It's over on the wiki (the paid software part, not the reason Toungue): http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Free_neve...ed_so_good
(2012-01-26, 01:06 AM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-01-25, 07:54 PM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB was supposed to be paid, but honestly, going against VB and IPB, I bet Chris just didn't have the heart to put them out of business.

Where did you get that idea? Chris has never stated such a thing. You shouldn't even joke about something like that.

It's over on the wiki (the paid software part, not the reason Toungue): http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Free_neve...ed_so_good

Thanks for link. You're right. In 2003 he did originally intend to write a commercial project. Very interesting.

I think MyBB would run below IPB, but above all others actually.
You got to admit, IPB is sweet.
The notices IPB and Xenforo have is the only thing missing for me in MyBB.
I've never like IPB. I've administered a couple sites that used it, and imo it's terrible. I'd probably lean to vB over it if I was forced to make a choice.
I'm playing with IP.Board (with IP.Content and IP.Nexus) at the moment for a project. Have to admit, confusing at first but the power is incredible. In a week, I'm practically finished and I only got stuck once (which turned out to be a functionality flaw IMHO w/IP.Content).

It's an excellent piece of community software, but if you're just looking for a forum, you know where it's at. Of course, it all comes down to personal preference and what your audience want (or expect).
(2012-01-26, 10:00 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks for link. You're right. In 2003 he did originally intend to write a commercial project. Very interesting.

No problem. Smile

(2012-01-26, 11:59 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]I'm playing with IP.Board (with IP.Content and IP.Nexus) at the moment for a project. Have to admit, confusing at first but the power is incredible. In a week, I'm practically finished and I only got stuck once (which turned out to be a functionality flaw IMHO w/IP.Content).

It's an excellent piece of community software, but if you're just looking for a forum, you know where it's at. Of course, it all comes down to personal preference and what your audience want (or expect).

I agree with you, it is a great piece of software. The one thing I disagree with however, is the template system (across most forum software actually). Templates shouldn't have the ability of loops, variable definition, function creation, and all that. It not only misses the point of a template system, it crowds the templates. The most template systems should have are basic conditional capabilities for the sometimes needed comparisons. Everything else should be left to the PHP files.

All the best,
Imad Jomaa.
I'd go IPB as well over VB. Very strong focus imho with the software and more innovation. I don't think Xenforo is worth the price to be honest. They should have run with it free for a couple years first and get people using it. I guess the devs simply felt their reputation was enough and followers from VB would pay. Unsure how that's working out for them beyond their initial boost.

(2012-01-26, 04:57 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]It not only misses the point of a template system, it crowds the templates.

This is why I hate IPB.
(2012-01-26, 04:57 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-01-26, 10:00 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]

No problem. Smile

(2012-01-26, 11:59 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]I'm playing with IP.Board (with IP.Content and IP.Nexus) at the moment for a project. Have to admit, confusing at first but the power is incredible. In a week, I'm practically finished and I only got stuck once (which turned out to be a functionality flaw IMHO w/IP.Content).

I agree with you, it is a great piece of software. The one thing I disagree with however, is the template system (across most forum software actually). Templates shouldn't have the ability of loops, variable definition, function creation, and all that. It not only misses the point of a template system, it crowds the templates. The most template systems should have are basic conditional capabilities for the sometimes needed comparisons. Everything else should be left to the PHP files.

All the best,
Imad Jomaa.

I think a template system should allow loops. It allows you to do more with a single template. like instead of having a forum display template, and a template for each row, you can just have one template with a loop in it.
(2012-01-27, 01:50 AM)USAF Wrote: [ -> ]I think a template system should allow loops. It allows you to do more with a single template. like instead of having a forum display template, and a template for each row, you can just have one template with a loop in it.

That is true, but templates aren't an ideal place for that, in my opinion anyway. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3