MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does the size of the MyBB team say anything about how futureproof MyBB is?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I hope these questions do not offend anyone, just trying to get a reasonable picture on this. These things are important when you are serious about an online community that you are choosing software for.

1. Is the size of the team behind MyBB a typical size for an open source project that is this successful?

2. Is there such a thing as a typical size for successful open source projects?

3. To me, the size of the team seems relatively small. Does that mean that MyBB's futureproofness is more vulnerable than that of other platforms, and could be compromised by single or few individuals leaving the team?

Once again I am not intending to spark heated debate, just interested how others judge these things.

THANKS!

Matt
(2012-02-04, 08:34 AM)Mariku Wrote: [ -> ]1. Is the size of the team behind MyBB a typical size for an open source project that is this successful?

2. Is there such a thing as a typical size for successful open source projects?

Success comes from what the contributors are prepared to bring to the product, not how many people are on the team. Over the years many people have been on the team but that doesn't mean if they were still on the team it would be more successful.

(2012-02-04, 08:34 AM)Mariku Wrote: [ -> ]3. To me, the size of the team seems relatively small. Does that mean that MyBB's futureproofness is more vulnerable than that of other platforms, and could be compromised by single or few individuals leaving the team?

I wouldn't say so. We're always happy to accept new team members if we feel they have the experience and maturity to handle being a part of such a large project, but a small team works well for us.
You are saying exactly what my own view of these things are.

I think you have a great strategy in this regard (an many others). Keep up the great work, and say thanks to the whole team please.

Matt
We're all a team, I just don't have a badge.
This thread in "MyBB 1.6 General Support" forum, too funny!
I don't see how it's funny at all - and if any moderator sees fit, of course please feel free to move this thread to another location.

This question is a very relevant security question, because if the answer would be a negative one, it could easily mean that a large community finds itself stuck with dying or non-supported software further down the track. I know not many people seem to think quite that far, but I do.

I'm aware that I may be less likely to get a negative answer in the MyBB support forums where everyone is passionate about MyBB, if that's what you mean. Still, the answer tells me a lot nonetheless.

Cheers,

Matt
Considering MyBB has already existed for around 10 years, I'd say there's a good chance it will live on.
(2012-02-05, 04:42 AM)Jammerx2 Wrote: [ -> ]Considering MyBB has already existed for around 10 years, I'd say there's a good chance it will live on.
You know... I hope to be so because there are already many communities in different countries created on web domains with names directly related to MyBB.
Assuming that in one day, MyBB would cease to be developed, all these domains will probably be closed also, until they expire.
But in Romania, for example, if you build a community dedicated to MyBB, the domain name is reserved for life (not for 1-10 years) and... if you chose a name that has to do strictly with MyBB (and MyBB cease to be developed), than... this domain name can not be used for anything else.

About the size of staff... well... sometimes the size does not matter.
Wink

I don't think its an issue. I've seen many projects drop down to 0 contributors, and then spring back up into a healthy staffing again in just a few months.
(2012-02-05, 01:19 AM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]We're all a team, I just don't have a badge.

THAT is the attitude that keeps MyBB going strong.
Pages: 1 2