MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Entire Threads deleted from site via member CP URGENT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was trying to find a way to mark many of the unread posts under View Today's Posts" as "read", and not seeing one I ticked "All" and chose "Thread Tools" at the bottom, now I have lost all those posts and cannot see any. What did I do?

UPDATE: I did not just lose them from MY view they are gone from the site completely! This means ANY MEMBER can do this. This is a glitch in the software. Are these threads recoverable?

Even if not, this glitch must be fixed.
hmm., there is no "mark all read" in the thread tools ; those posts might have been deleted Sad can you check in Admin log / Mod log ...
(2012-02-07, 07:29 PM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]hmm., there is no "mark all read" in the thread tools ; those posts might have been deleted Sad can you check in Admin log / Mod log ...

HELPPPPPP!!!! Those posts HAVE been deleted!!!! Can they be recovered? They were VERY important! How can that happen?
It sounds like you deleted the threads.

1) Did you do this as admin?
2) Did you check the admin logs like ranjani mentioned? If so, whet does it say?

If you deleted the threads, you need to restore the database from backup.
(2012-02-07, 06:12 PM)K e v i n Wrote: [ -> ]I did not just lose them from MY view they are gone from the site completely! This means ANY MEMBER can do this. This is a glitch in the software. Are these threads recoverable?

Even if not, this glitch must be fixed.

Don't blame us. You deleted the threads. That's entirely your fault.
(2012-02-07, 09:28 PM)Monaco Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like you deleted the threads.

1) Did you do this as admin?
2) Did you check the admin logs like ranjani mentioned? If so, whet does it say?

If you deleted the threads, you need to restore the database from backup.

No I did this from my "Member Account" which has moderator privileges but it's even Super Mod. But it wouldn't matter I was not in Mod CP nor was I in admin CP I was in User CP as a regular member. I just would like to have been able t get the posts back and have this fixed so it can't happen to someone else.

Yes I checked the mod logs I will post images of everything and explain it detail what I did when I return I have to make the daily mail drop and am up against the deadline.

(2012-02-07, 09:34 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Don't blame us. You deleted the threads. That's entirely your fault.

I'm not "blaming" anyone that's for adolescents. I'm trying to bring to light something I believe is a glitch in the software. Please try to take a different attitude about this - in no way have I started some childish blame game and will not do so.
The only option is to recover the posts from a backup. If you can reproduce the issue on a new installation of MyBB, please post the instructions on the dev site.
(2012-02-07, 10:01 PM)K e v i n Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not "blaming" anyone that's for adolescents. I'm trying to bring to light something I believe is a glitch in the software. Please try to take a different attitude about this - in no way have I started some childish blame game and will not do so.

It's impossible to delete threads in a forum which a moderator doesn't moderate. The fact is you deleted the threads, so your permissions must be incorrect.
(2012-02-07, 06:12 PM)K e v i n Wrote: [ -> ]I was trying to find a way to mark many of the unread posts under View Today's Posts" as "read", and not seeing one I ticked "All" and chose "Thread Tools" at the bottom, now I have lost all those posts and cannot see any. What did I do?

(2012-02-07, 10:01 PM)K e v i n Wrote: [ -> ]I was in User CP as a regular member.

I thought you were on View Today's Posts from your first post?

Please be clearer about what happened, at the moment it makes no sense.
This is exactly what I did. I clicked "View Today's Posts" and went to that page as always. This time, instead of reading every post that was in bold (unread) I wanted to mark them all as "Read" and knew there was no such option. So I ticked the "all" box at the top - it isn't labeled as "all" itis labeled as "Last Post" but it tick sall of them when ticked.

After I did that I thought if I clicked the option "Thread Tools" under "Custom Tools" it might take me to more options and I might find a "Mark As Read" option. Instead, it deleted all the threads. No where did it warn me anything was going to be deleted. So with only two clicks I deleted all the new posts of today to that point AND all the threads that they were in.

This image shows six threads where new posts have been made but before I wiped them out there were probably twenty or more.

[attachment=25468]

This shows the mod logs where I performed the action at 12.08 six hours ago. There is nothing shown under "Information".

[attachment=25469]

If this is normal for the posts to be deleted this way I think it needs to be changed where it cannot happen so easily. I'm posting this hoping someone could tell me how to get the trheads back but i think even I realize that's not possible. My second goal is to keep this from happening to someone else.

Pages: 1 2