MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Which domain name extensions do you like the most?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2012-02-16, 04:35 AM)Mebes Net Wrote: [ -> ].net for forums and .com for everything else.

Whats your reasoning behind that? Just Curious
I use .com, .net, and .info so far. I always try to go with .com unless I see the use of another TLD. .xxx is overpriced in my books.
(2012-02-15, 11:06 PM)Jordan L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-15, 05:12 PM)envira Wrote: [ -> ].com and only .com nothing is better than it in seo terms

Uhm, no? The TLD has nothing to do with SEO, unless you're talking about the way people remember the site. Apart from that, cutie343.com and cutie343.net have the exact same SEO opportunities disregarding their TLD.

You don't know that for a fact. You're speculating and I think your opinion is wrong.

COM has top billing in SEO searches fairly often. Also Google's patent for their algo does involve domain information. Lots of SEO experts feel that extension does matter.

And I prefer CNO in that order. However I've never had a site be successful on an org but that's likely because of my own lame attempts. I focus on com and net mostly. I also only use net if the com is a parked page or doesn't resolve. Last thing I want is my net to lose traffic to the com or for there to be brand confusion.
Labrocca Wrote:You don't know that for a fact. You're speculating and I think your opinion is wrong.

COM has top billing in SEO searches fairly often. Also Google's patent for their algo does involve domain information. Lots of SEO experts feel that extension does matter.

And I prefer CNO in that order. However I've never had a site be successful on an org but that's likely because of my own lame attempts. I focus on com and net mostly. I also only use net if the com is a parked page or doesn't resolve. Last thing I want is my net to lose traffic to the com or for there to be brand confusion.

Ever heard of the expression "pot calling the kettle black"? You're willing to say that you think my opinion is wrong yet you fail to prove actual evidence rather than a "feeling that the extension matters". If Google had decided to use .net as their priority instead of .com, do you think it wouldn't still be the company it is today and the #1 most viewed website? No. Google.com and Google.net are the same idea, the same name, the same company except for the fact that it has a .net TLD. Unless you include the TLD in the website name, e.g; del.icio.us, the TLD simply doesn't matter for SEO purposes rather than people who don't know any better thinking every website ends with a .com, which is what I stated in my original post:

Jordan L. Wrote:The TLD has nothing to do with SEO, unless you're talking about the way people remember the site.
I was under the impression that com/net/org were equal in terms of "SEO value", and ahead of the rest. I've read that quite a few times. I've found with org/net it's no difference to any website I've ran with .com, Google certainly hasn't hated on my last 2 forums with net and org, was certainly not hesitant to put me on page 1.

So I tend to not care what domain extension it is, but only if it's one of those three. Though I'd naturally go for the .com if it was available.
Quote:Ever heard of the expression "pot calling the kettle black"?

I clearly made my it known it was my opinion. Didn't have time to find sources either.

But here ya go:

http://www.glenwoodfin.com/seo/is-com-th...e-ranking/

This one is spectacular and supports my opinion with a very detailed test:
http://www.seomad.com/SEOBlog/do-differe...t-seo.html

Your statement was "The TLD has nothing to do with SEO". Just not a fact and only your opinion.
So the fact that you're saying my opinion is wrong wasn't at all biased before posting your opinion that you believe is correct? Once again your sources are biased and based on opinion. The very first paragraph within a source you posted states:

Source Wrote:Is .com the best domain name extension for the highest Google ranking? The answer is yes from my experience.

Everything in this discussion is based on opinion, there is no right or wrong answer. It's incredibly naive for you to say that my opinion is wrong and yours is right, as yours is just as valid as mine.
You didn't state it as opinion. That's what I pointed out. You made a blunt statement as if it were fact. I'm making sure others don't assume it was fact. I really don't care otherwise. I just don't like it when people think they know SEO when they don't.

And I clearly stated that "I think" your opinion is wrong. Which is me giving my opinion. Maybe English isn't your first language.

99% of SEO is opinion based because Google has not released it's algo. It's all a matter of testing what works for you. Google themselves are always cryptic when it comes to disclosing best SEO methods.

The only SEO person in the entire world that matters is Matt Cutts. His blogs are a required reading imho.

Just bought a .net domain as .com is parked and not available.
(2012-02-16, 11:12 PM)Jordan L. Wrote: [ -> ]
Labrocca Wrote:You don't know that for a fact. You're speculating and I think your opinion is wrong.

Ever heard of the expression "pot calling the kettle black"? You're willing to say that you think my opinion is wrong yet you fail to prove actual evidence rather than a "feeling that the extension matters". If Google had decided to use .net as their priority instead of .com, do you think it wouldn't still be the company it is today and the #1 most viewed website? No. Google.com and Google.net are the same idea, the same name, the same company except for the fact that it has a .net TLD. Unless you include the TLD in the website name, e.g; del.icio.us, the TLD simply doesn't matter for SEO purposes rather than people who don't know any better thinking every website ends with a .com, which is what I stated in my original post:

Jordan L. Wrote:The TLD has nothing to do with SEO, unless you're talking about the way people remember the site.

I know from personal experience that if you have a .co.uk domain, it won't rank as highly on google.com than google.co.uk, for example as it is a UK specific domain name.

I would presume that this is the same for other country specific TLD's -

Eg. if you have website.it, it will rank higher on the Italian Google (google.it) than on the UK Google (google.co.uk) because the domain is affiliated with the country's Google that you are searching from. (if you managed to follow all that Toungue)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5