MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MYBB Board is getting VVVVV Slow!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi all,
I'm running mybb board on VPS server from byethost.
I have 8 CPU's @ 1.2 each + 480 RAM.
The site was very very fast.
Just since one week Its becoming veryyyyyyyy slow.
I restarted server many times, daily I have to do that.
Also I stopped many plugins and made clean up for manythings but I'm facing same Issue.
If I monitor Server load I see its changing between 4 to 7.
If I enter to my Cpanel I see no load at all (128 of 480 are in use).

I tried to optimize server load by many tricks but no good luck.

Noted that I didnt change anything in the last week to say that my change effected the site.

Could some one guide me how to solve my issue?

Thanks and regards.
Could we get a URL so we can see your forum? What kidn fo stats does your forum have? Which webserver are you running (Apache, nginx, lighttpd etc)?
mhhauto.com

Thanks in advance...
Could some one tell me what are the best configurations and tricks to optimize server and reduce the load...

Thanks in advance....
MyBB Version 1.6.2 Threads 4,977 Threads
14 New Today
63 Unapproved
PHP Version 5.3.10-1~dotdeb.1 Posts 43,211 Posts
120 New Today
167 Unapproved
SQL Engine MySQLi 5.0.51 Users 36,985 Registered Users
615 Active Users
57 Registrations Today
8 Awaiting Activation
Server Load 5.56 Attachments 4887 Attachments
27 Unapproved
679.69 MB Used
Administrator Notes
Sounds like you don't need MyBB support but instead hosting support.

MyBB team only deals with it's core script in General Support section.

Judging by your stats. You have a configuration server problem.

EDIT: btw there is packet loss when I ping to your server. So your problem might be your host. Whatever it's not MyBB.
Those stats look descent. can you list the plugins you use?
you might wanna give a try on these
*gzip compression
*css/js minify
*delete unwanted plugins
*reduce no. of calls in the temple (make it more static where possible)
Thanks for reply...
I contacted the support and they upgrade from 1.2 to 1.8 and the RAM now are @ 512 But its same problem....
The site speed is very bad and getting offline from time to time.

@ t_virus
What is the best value for Gzip compression?
Regarding:
*css/js minify and *reduce no. of calls in the temple (make it more static where possible)

I Didnt understand Blush
Also for the plugin list, as i said I didnt change or add any plugin to say its the problem.
Also I stopped many plugins to reduce load but same problem.

Could u please be more clear.

Thanks and regards.
i usually use lvl 4. i did use lvl 9 once and it crippled my site Toungue

About js/css minify, its a process that removes blank spaces from the file to make it much smaller in size. but i'm starting to think your problem is a broken javascript link.
Check and see if any of your javascripts return 404....they can be a mess sometimes.

About reducing calls, Themes use dynamic variables for stuff like logo, title and all...so these theme work for all users no matter if their site title is something other than the creator's.
What these variables do they fetch information from database and show them up.
But if you use a static (constant) value in place of them, you will reduce the number of queries to the database and thus fasten your site.
For example if have a setting named Sitename and variable for it is {setting_sitename}
my theme will use <h1>{setting_sitename}</h1>
but if i do <h1>PixelMonkey</h1> ,there won't be any need to query the database.

I used this trick extensively on wordpress and the results were significant. Try Smile
Well I'm not able to figure out what is the problem....
I increased my server plan:
RAM: 484 MB to 756 MB
CPU: 8 CPU's from 1.2GHz to 1.8 GHz.
Still the site is slow and getting offline from time to time.
Server support telling that everything looks fine in my server configuration.
what I have to do then?

Thanks and regards.

(2012-02-17, 09:46 PM)t_virus Wrote: [ -> ]About reducing calls, Themes use dynamic variables for stuff like logo, title and all...so these theme work for all users no matter if their site title is something other than the creator's.
What these variables do they fetch information from database and show them up.
But if you use a static (constant) value in place of them, you will reduce the number of queries to the database and thus fasten your site.
For example if have a setting named Sitename and variable for it is {setting_sitename}
my theme will use <h1>{setting_sitename}</h1>
but if i do <h1>PixelMonkey</h1> ,there won't be any need to query the database.

I used this trick extensively on wordpress and the results were significant. Try Smile

Not using the MyBB variables will not increase speed. MyBB populates the variables before even parsing the template. Simply remove the variables from the template will do nothing to increase speed I'm afraid.

@OP: could you post the output when you run the command

$ top

on your server via SSH? That way we can see if you have some unnecessary resource intensive processes running or anything.
If it suddenly started being slow about a week ago then it doesn't sound like it's MyBB as the MyBB code didn't suddenly change overnight a week ago to become a lot more resource intensive all of a sudden. If a forum of this size is on a server this powerful and has a load this high, the problem will not be being caused by MyBB. Running top as suggested above would be a good place to start.
Pages: 1 2 3