MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugin Used in Themes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In the plugin manager it would be sweet to have a list of themes with checkboxes beside them to easily decide whether or not to include a certain plugin with a theme, instead of it being in all of them. Some plugins have code that you can remove to accomplish this, but then again some don't, so in 2.0 it would just be awesome if they were universal in that you could quickly disable them depending on your theme.

It just sucks not being able to use a plugin because it ruins only one out of your 7 themes, haha.
+1 for this idea. There are situations where we need a certain plugin to work in a certain theme only. This could come in handy in those situations. Smile
Yeah honestly this would be a very good idea, since most plugins import their settings into current themes installed and not any new ones imported after the plugin has been install.
+1, would be a very convenient feature to have
+ 1 for idea,Great idea.
Wouldn't hurt, I guess.
I don't like it. Seems like a pretty awkward solution for a problem that should really be addressed by engineering the software and guidelines in such a way that plugin/theme developers can write their code without it being dependent on one or the other and screwing up. (i.e. so that every combination of plugin and theme should work together if coded properly according to a official set of guidelines). Maybe that's not 100% possible, but it seems like a more important concern to me.
Unfortunately no software can accomplish that. I know I reference Xenforo a lot, but for the sake of the discussion, the best mod as well as theme (imo) Flexile and 8wayrun Portal for Xenforo had theme displaying problems for quite a while until the developer of the plugin released a fix for the specific theme (Or it might have been the designer of Flexile, can't really remember), so you can't really expect literally every theme and plugin developer to assure their product can work across any combination of the two. xD The much easier solution would be to allow an admin to disable the plugin in any chosen theme it breaks up until the point that the developer or designer releases a fix for it.

Also I feel your solution would limit the creativity of theme development, much like that of vB4.
I didn't mean developers should have to test their plugin/theme against every possible combination of the two, I meant the entire system should be set up in such a way that the elements of each operate independently and literally can't break each other. But yeah, I appreciate this might well be impossible, but I think it's worth a look at how the hooks, styling, etc. in 2.0 can be set up so that potential theme vs plugin conflicts are minimised.
(2012-02-22, 08:42 PM)Malphas Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't mean developers should have to test their plugin/theme against every possible combination of the two, I meant the entire system should be set up in such a way that the elements of each operate independently and literally can't break each other. But yeah, I appreciate this might well be impossible, but I think it's worth a look at how the hooks, styling, etc. in 2.0 can be set up so that potential theme vs plugin conflicts are minimised.

Any good MyBB designer would change the default theme structure. But plugins are developed for default MyBB structure. That's what the problem is. And as far as i know no plugin conflicts much with the themes, they just mis-places the code. In that case it would the user's responsibility to place the code added by plugin in appropriate location. Smile

And the idea of this topic is to allow certain plugins to be installed for certain themes only. Consider i'm using multiple themes in my forum, and i want a certain plugin to work on certain theme only. currently, i have to install the plugin and remove the code added from other themes. Whereas if this suggested feature is implemented, i can choose which theme should display the plugin.
Pages: 1 2