MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Blog System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I agree with myBB on this one.It is a smart decision to keep it as a Community forum set up.But has a weak portal that is also hard to find.SMF has it set up in the ACP to simply turn it on and set it up or turn it off.myBB requires some file edits to get it connected to the forum.

I do hope that their 2.0 Portal is improved and allows for the default settings for the 10 most popular postings,most popular threads and similar settings.To help visiting guests go quickly to the places that are really worth reading.

Surely several people can team together and develop a nice Blog plug in and maintain development of the plug in?
Yeah, I think it makes more sense just to tweak the portal a bit, rather than trying to add a fully-fledged blog system. Being able to customise the portal in the adminCP, e.g., to alter the layout and to adjust which forums, threads, etc. to use for feed, would satisfy a lot of users requirements.

For example, I see a lot of websites that are mainly community forums, but also include a front page used to display a blog style list of latest news. Rather than setting up seperate blog/CMS software or plugins, this could easily be achieved by having a "News" subforum in MyBB that requires certain user group privileges to create new threads in, then the portal could be configured to pull out the first posts of threads in that subforum and paste them into the portal page. At present you could achieve this by using a bridge like WordBB, but it seems like overkill for such a minor feature that's used pretty widely.
You can achieve that now with the portal.php actually Malphas.
Yeah, but it's still a hassle to set up the portal as your home page right now. It would be nice if there was a setting to set it as the home page in 2.0.
The is a plugin for it and it's not that hard to it by hand either.
(2012-02-25, 03:55 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]The is a plugin for it and it's not that hard to it by hand either.

The problem is that most people do not know it is there.When a new myBB forum is set up the portal does not show up and can not be turned on in the ACP.

(2012-02-25, 07:51 AM)Sunsettommy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-25, 03:55 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]The is a plugin for it and it's not that hard to it by hand either.

The problem is that most people do not know it is there.When a new myBB forum is set up the portal does not show up and can not be turned on in the ACP.
I know about that plugin, but as a plugin, it has to be updated whenever the code it hooks into changes. Built-in would keep that functionality up to date.
All the plugin does it make the portal.php the home page for one visit every 24 hours (or what ever you set). It doesn't require any updating in less they randomly rename the portal.php.
Yaldaram is developing a blog plugin.

However, you could use portal, but adding blog by default kills a meaning of a forum software.
(2012-02-26, 04:54 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]Yaldaram is developing a blog plugin.

However, you could use portal, but adding blog by default kills a meaning of a forum software.

myBB already considers the PORTAL as part of the community forum package.They just need to integrate it better and update as well.

The Blog should stay as a Plug In feature.

Pages: 1 2 3