MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Blog System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2012-02-24, 07:07 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]You can argue that the moon is a drawing and that vegitables are the root of cancer, it doesn't make it so. MyBB has stated they want to be a featured forum system. Not a Community software.

Since it will be on a framework, getting a blog to work with MyBB would be incredibly easy. Personally, if I am employeed at the time, I'll pay a developer 200~ish to make a Yii blog that will integrate with MyBB. If I'm not, I'll just wait till I am again.

Does this sound fair?

edit: Bolded the wrong thing.

I'm not sure you understood my post. I was arguing there is a distinction between forum and CMS software, which is also your position. I was also stating my opinion that branching out into CMS related features would be to the detriment of the software - also along the lines of your position.
(2012-02-26, 03:59 PM)Sunsettommy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-26, 04:54 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]Yaldaram is developing a blog plugin.

However, you could use portal, but adding blog by default kills a meaning of a forum software.

myBB already considers the PORTAL as part of the community forum package.They just need to integrate it better and update as well.

The Blog should stay as a Plug In feature.

I agree with this post 110%!
(2012-02-26, 09:13 PM)Malphas Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-24, 07:07 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]You can argue that the moon is a drawing and that vegitables are the root of cancer, it doesn't make it so. MyBB has stated they want to be a featured forum system. Not a Community software.

Since it will be on a framework, getting a blog to work with MyBB would be incredibly easy. Personally, if I am employeed at the time, I'll pay a developer 200~ish to make a Yii blog that will integrate with MyBB. If I'm not, I'll just wait till I am again.

Does this sound fair?

edit: Bolded the wrong thing.

I'm not sure you understood my post. I was arguing there is a distinction between forum and CMS software, which is also your position. I was also stating my opinion that branching out into CMS related features would be to the detriment of the software - also along the lines of your position.

I wasn't directly it personally to you, but as a general thing, because this comes up quite a lot. Although, I hope when I can hire someone to create this project once it comes along, this will be behind us.
Mybb will be called (^^ autronaust, planet => ++bridge)
and this is why VB is in the crapper...they are trying to implement so much junk, and then makes the entire system complex.

If you want a blog system, get WP...then hire someone
to tie your forum into wordpress so only your members
can post, maybe a mybb plugin can be created.

The worst thing a forum system can do is get off
track by trying to invent what is already created.

Stuff that is not related to a forum is just a distraction.

If you are in the forum business, then work on the forum...

Let others create plugin's if they wish, this includes:

Blogs
Social Networking
This
That

You get the idea.

PS. WP is so damn flexible, and has so many plugin's avail.
Would you get that with a forum system blog? no-way.
Why would anyone not want to use WP? it would be silly not too...

(2012-02-22, 11:38 AM)Yoshi Oak Wrote: [ -> ]I think a Blog system like Vbulletin will make mybb more good and better.

The Blog Plugin is not so good and Nickman has removed it so we need to add it the forum package.

Users will surely love it.

If you are gonna use WP for your blogs, you might as well use bbPress for your forums. Wink
(2012-02-25, 07:51 AM)Sunsettommy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-25, 03:55 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]The is a plugin for it and it's not that hard to it by hand either.

The problem is that most people do not know it is there.When a new myBB forum is set up the portal does not show up and can not be turned on in the ACP.

this is incorrect. as long as the templates do not get reverted the portal will work as before.

also, here is my tutorial on using the portal as teh home page, even with your forum in a subfolder.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-106919....ortal+home

(2012-02-28, 04:46 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-25, 07:51 AM)Sunsettommy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-25, 03:55 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]The is a plugin for it and it's not that hard to it by hand either.

The problem is that most people do not know it is there.When a new myBB forum is set up the portal does not show up and can not be turned on in the ACP.

this is incorrect. as long as the templates do not get reverted the portal will work as before.

also, here is my tutorial on using the portal as teh home page, even with your forum in a subfolder.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-106919....ortal+home

I did not say it was not there or that it does not work.What I am saying is that when a new forum based on mybb is set up.The portal is not visible thus new forum owners wonder where it is.

I myself went through this very problem when I first started using myBB back in 2009.I could see the portal setting in the ACP but could NOT see the portal itself.So asked about it here at the time and was given the URL for it.Then had to do manual edits to some files to make it show up.

Your own link supports my point.You have to MAKE it show up.It is there but not visible.

To me this should not continue with the 2.0 version.Along with a modernized portal would greatly enhance what I want for my forum.To use the portal page as my weekly essay page along with some links (In the side bars) to most active and popular postings and threads in the forum section.
(2012-02-28, 04:28 PM)MadComp Wrote: [ -> ]If you are gonna use WP for your blogs, you might as well use bbPress for your forums. Wink

bbpress is too skimpy for a forum.

why not use Wordpress as the blog and the wordpress plug with it?

WordBB

I have no idea if this a good set up.

I don't like that plugin myself. Auto posting all posts to the forum is kinda overkill for some applications.
Pages: 1 2 3