MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Do you think that your board will still exist in 5 years?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just to know what you really think of your board Smile

Do you think that your board will still exist in 5 years? Or you're already wondering how to pay the next month's bill...

If you think that it may not exist, can you explain why? Competition maybe? Your niche isn't that big? Your board is dedicated to a special event, software or person?

Notice for novice: If your forum is dedicated to illegal downloading or anything against the law, then you can't be sure of anything, you never know when your domain will look like http://megaupload.com/ or http://rnbxclusive.com/
Even though our board is fairly big (and growing) at the moment, we're a very niche group. We're a fansite based on a very old PC game (Zoo Tycoon) which is at the end of its shelf life. Our traffic comes from existing members, word of mouth, and people Googling to find custom-made Zoo Tycoon downloads.

We're an old-fashioned, mod-making, PC game fansite, and we are smoothly riding along. Smile I can't tell if the Zoo Tycoon community will last 5 more years, but hell, we've been around for 11. Why not?

I have a couple ideas to keep it going strong, but I doubt it'd be as easy as when Microsoft had regular expansion pack releases for the game. Right now the only thing that's keeping the community going is our mod teams.

I'm curious to hear other stories as well!

I plan to still be on the MyBB Team in 5 years time, so MyBB Security will probably be around for even longer than 5 years. Smile
Yeah I am sure my forum will run till 5 year if I lived. Regards
and here is my 3 month forum stats.
http://community.mybb.com/thread-113938.html
I created mine in 2008 (console world at that time IIRC, now console addicted) so who knows if it will still be here in 2017
(2012-02-23, 07:35 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]I plan to still be on the MyBB Team in 5 years time, so MyBB Security will probably be around for even longer than 5 years. Smile

Good to know. Smile
Yes. Unless I don't receive enough income to break even then I don't see my forums going anywhere.

(2012-02-23, 07:30 AM)VeerWeb Wrote: [ -> ]Even though our board is fairly big (and growing) at the moment, we're a very niche group. We're a fansite based on a very old PC game (Zoo Tycoon) which is at the end of its shelf life. Our traffic comes from existing members, word of mouth, and people Googling to find custom-made Zoo Tycoon downloads.

We're an old-fashioned, mod-making, PC game fansite, and we are smoothly riding along. Smile I can't tell if the Zoo Tycoon community will last 5 more years, but hell, we've been around for 11. Why not?

I have a couple ideas to keep it going strong, but I doubt it'd be as easy as when Microsoft had regular expansion pack releases for the game. Right now the only thing that's keeping the community going is our mod teams.

I'm curious to hear other stories as well!

Can I see your site? I'm a old Zoo Tycoon fan myself.
But, I hated the new "3D" version(s).

The same with Roller-Coaster Tycoon.
I loved the simple 2D style, it was ruined when it was created in 3D.

I have no doubt that mine will continue to be around in 10+ years.
The niches are petty solid, lots of things planned out for many years to come.
Great to hear from you guys, I'm sure that many new boards will appear, but I hope that we won't lose our biggest MyBB boards.

As for me, my board is for the fan base of a special artist, I hope that it will still exist in 5 years, I want it to be there in 2017.

Can't wait to hear some other opinions. Smile
Graphic design will never die. Forums will always exist, and people will always want tags, banners, rank badges and so on.
My forum is well funded and I enjoy it. So yes, it will be around in 5/10/20 years.
Pages: 1 2