MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Your highest # of registrations in a day record?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
My board has auto activate enabled, so theres nothing like not activated.
Is that not heaven for spam bots?
(2012-02-28, 04:32 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Is that not heaven for spam bots?
Nope. Because I had a couple of plugins installed for blocking them. There were, but less. And theres not much you could do about it, there are thousands of disposal email sites running over the internet. And after I got CF, I am yet to see any spam post yet.

(2012-02-28, 04:36 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]And after I got CF, I am yet to see any spam post yet.

CF?
Cloudflare.
Ah I see.
I use:
- Limit Url Posting, so users without a specific amount of posts can't post links. I feel strongly this helps stop the "spambots" in their tracks. It literally doesn't allow the post to go through.
- ReCaptcha
- StopForumSpam
- Blocked tons of specific email domains & extensions which I primarily look for at StopForumSpam. .co.cc for example, and email domains I see temp email sites use (I check every now & then to see if they get a new one).
- Blocked the IP range of the spambots that got through in the past.

Since all that was done, I haven't had any spambots.
So I haven't had the need to use CloudFlare myself.
But it would probably save a lot of work as opposed to what I did, lol.
One plugin has stopped all spam bots for me. Registration security questions.
(2012-02-28, 08:07 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]One plugin has stopped all spam bots for me. Registration security questions.

Oh right, I have that too, but that wasn't enough for me.
They still got in like once or twice every few months or so.
The added "Limit Url Posting" is what seemed to have completely stopped it for me, and blocking the ISP/Server IPs that they were using to access my sites.
Adding that plugin wouldn't stop registrations though - it would just stop posting right?

Never had to block IP's/ISP's luckily, it's not something I'd want to get into since you get those few legit users complaining about it a lot.
(2012-02-28, 10:52 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Adding that plugin wouldn't stop registrations though - it would just stop posting right?

Never had to block IP's/ISP's luckily, it's not something I'd want to get into since you get those few legit users complaining about it a lot.

Oh yeah that's right. I just felt even with the security question, the stopforumspam and whatever else I could be using (I may be missing something), there's still a low chance they'll get through. Especially if it's not really a spambot, and it's a human person that's doing it.

I just hope either way, it stops them in their tracks or highly deteriorates them.

Even if they do manage to post whatever web links they wanted to post, it wouldn't be a hyperlink. Not clickable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5