MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Your highest # of registrations in a day record?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2012-02-28, 08:07 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]One plugin has stopped all spam bots for me. Registration security questions.

That plugin wouldn't block all the spam bots, because most of them got answer to obvious questions, so other plugins like, limitUrlposting etc are required. =)
Yeah you seem to have it nailed down. I've just realised how off-topic this thread has turned. Apologies there crazy Toungue.

@Jardon: That's why you customize the questions.
(2012-02-28, 11:02 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah you seem to have it nailed down. I've just realised how off-topic this thread has turned. Apologies there crazy Toungue.

@Jardon: That's why you customize the questions.

The problem with customizing the questions is that if some arabs want to join your forum and your questions are a bit "advanced" they wouldn't understand it and won't be able to register.

However, I think, with the limitUrlposting, certain post requirement to edit signature and add homepage URL, will stop any bot. Wink
You compromise - I haven't come across anyone who has struggled with the questions.

Also, the plugins you have listed are plugins that deal with spam bots after registration. I personally don't want loads of new spam bot users a day signing up to my forum(s).
Security Questions can be as effective or useless as you make it. Be smart with your questions.
Don't word it the common or 'correct' way, for example on my site,

GFXFORUMS. Which letter is directly before the 7th letter?

If you are not a spammer, type 'dpz6r9sr3' (no quotes).

Very effective.
Nothing is more effective than Spamalyser though.
(2012-02-28, 08:05 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]But it would probably save a lot of work as opposed to what I did, lol.
Nah, its great that you took that measures. I am also thinking to get Stopforumspam once I configure couple of things up.

(2012-02-28, 08:07 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]One plugin has stopped all spam bots for me. Registration security questions.

(2012-02-28, 08:24 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ][quote='Anxiety' pid='829003' dateline='1330459675']
One plugin has stopped all spam bots for me. Registration security questions.
Bots were passing regsecurequestions since past month, dunno why, maybe they found a way out or are human spammers. And btw, I was not having default set of questions, if anyone wonders.

(2012-02-28, 11:02 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah you seem to have it nailed down. I've just realised how off-topic this thread has turned. Apologies there crazy Toungue.
Cool
got 30 on one day by a 14year old kid who love my forum and he promoted through FB
I think my record in the past when I had an active forum was 2. Not something I'm proud of.
New record on my wrestling forum of 50. Not too bad for a 2 month old forum.
Did Labrocca come in here and <snip> on this thread yet?
(2012-02-27, 09:21 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]For me it's in the 4k range but I get about 1000-1500 every day on average. Those who don't activate or make a post within 60 days get deleted.

Ohh there he is..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5