MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Has your board ever been compromised (hacked)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well recently my wrestling forum was, so I'm wondering how many of you have gone through the same experience?

Share & Discuss! Smile
Not once. I monitor and alter things very often to prevent it.
Not even once, let me tell you some tip to protect yourself by getting hacked

The basic steps that can be done from your end to prevent this type of attack in future are:

1) Update all the 3rd party software to the latest version

2) Make sure your Cpanel/ftp accounts have a strong password.

3) Ensure that appropriate file permissions are used for every file and directory on the web server
Twice, once was preventable, the other was the host being hacked.
Other than DDoS attacks, I have not had a forum hacked before.
Can you post the CHMOD permissions you use ?

I was wondering as some people tell about the documentation, using 644 and others tell about specific CHMOD..

Also renaming the admin directoy, and some htaccess (one specific for the config.php) and others for folders, phpmyadmin, will help.
Through my years of being a webmaster and sysadmin I've had my site, servers, and hosting accounts all compromised at some point. I expect it will continue to happen as well. Security is an illusion and only lasts for as long as you're naive enough to believe it's real.
Yeah, I did. In November, November 21 to be specific, when I was on shared hosting. Thereafter on 21 January as I was fairly new to web based linux OS and performing security audits and actions on my VPS server. Thereafter, I learned, still learning a lot about securing the server though.
Surprised many of you have evaded it. We're still not sure what caused this one. File permissions were fine (I think), everything was updated to the latest version, none of our Admin/FTP accounts were compromised.

Is there a documentation on MyBB that will tell you what specific permissions to give? I know the basic ones but are there extras?

I see quite a few of you had your hosts hacked, I've had that happen to me multiple times. If your host gets rooted you're in trouble. Those who have evaded it, don't take it for granted Smile. It's a painfully stressful experience. Remember, 2 daily backups a day Toungue.
Pages: 1 2 3