MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: phpBB vs MyBB 1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi
I run a fairly bit phpBB forum but offlate I am tired of it because of lack of features, slow and random updates with mods and website getting completly broken down during update and not to mention max user connection errors every now and then at time when there are barely 10 members active in the board..

I just have a question which is has been asked numerous times already.. How much better is myBB vs phpBB?? How easy is it to install mods and update the forum??
And also I dont like default myBB theme.. Can you suggest some sites which sell/make premium themes for myBB??

Best Regards
Since you're asking this question at the MyBB Community forums, you're likely to get some rather biased answers favoring MyBB.

MyBB is, in my opinion, a far superior piece of software if all you're wanting is a forum system that's easy to get setup and just start using instantly. Installing plugins and themes is a breeze when compared to phpBB but it does lack some of the great extras that phpBB has available (especially in terms of themes).

As for good places to get premium themes, check out the following:

http://audentio.com
http://nanoskinners.com
http://dynaxel.com (currently shut unfortunately)

There are a few other theme design studios that are kind of up-and-coming but the above three are some of the best known ones.
Phpbb has horrible themes, even MyBB's free ones beat those.

Move to MyBB, it's lightyears better.
and permissions are a doddle in MYBB by far the easiest forum software i have ever used.
(2012-02-29, 06:28 PM)vellatechie Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
I run a fairly bit phpBB forum but offlate I am tired of it because of lack of features, slow and random updates with mods and website getting completly broken down during update and not to mention max user connection errors every now and then at time when there are barely 10 members active in the board..

I just have a question which is has been asked numerous times already.. How much better is myBB vs phpBB?? How easy is it to install mods and update the forum??
And also I dont like default myBB theme.. Can you suggest some sites which sell/make premium themes for myBB??

Best Regards
Well I have mybb,vbulletin,phpbb and smf setup on my localhost
I have the following results :-
  • Mybb
    Simple to install
    default theme looks dated
    easy to edit/create themes
    very good support
    not to bad to write plugins for
    loads of plugins out there at no cost
  • vbulletin
    simple to install
    default theme looks good out of the box
    theme editor takes some time to get to grips with
    for a paid for product the support is poor
    never bothered to write a plugin for vb
    plugins out there but there does not seem to be the depth of free plugins out there
  • phpbb
    Simple to install
    default theme is more modern than mybb but still looks dated
    the whole admin side is not easy to navigate or use
    I gave up at this point so I can not comment further
  • smf
    Simple to install
    default theme is very nice
    theme editor is not straight forward
    at this point I gave up

i got phpbb forum before 2 years ago what do i say so about phpbb its a piece of garbage
non stop problems with automods,if you want change any files you must take care to save it in utf8 without bom,to slow,crazy admin panel,only thing like it in phpbb its mycode system who add buttons in editor for any mycode.For phpbb Mybb its Ferrari
Thanks for replying.. I wont need major mods for myBB I suppose since thread rating and post rep and quick quote is built in.. I just needs a good white and blue theme of dynamic width and maybe a facebook login and thats about it..

And I understand some feedback might be highly biased but thats a feedback none the less.. I have been using phpBB for around 6 years now and I love it.. I agree themeing and modding it is a pain but I got used to it. the forum Support is excellent and no one can deny that..

Only problem have been the fact that it lacks some very basic mods that my users have been demanding (rep and thread rating) and phpBB modding scene have been very slow offlate.. there are tons of mods that are stuck in beta and RC stage for years now which should be part of the core system to make it better over all.. I am excited about 3.1 but I cannot wait any longer for that..

Just a question though.. I started with SMF and around 4/5 years back i converted to phpBB.. Will there be any problem is I convert that to myBB now??
There shouldn't be any issues at all so long as the original merge to phpBB was flawless. The merge system is very good and Dylan's always quick to answer any queries you may have.
(2012-02-29, 08:27 PM)vellatechie Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for replying.. I wont need major mods for myBB I suppose since thread rating and post rep and quick quote is built in.. I just needs a good white and blue theme of dynamic width and maybe a facebook login and thats about it..

And I understand some feedback might be highly biased but thats a feedback none the less.. I have been using phpBB for around 6 years now and I love it.. I agree themeing and modding it is a pain but I got used to it. the forum Support is excellent and no one can deny that..

Only problem have been the fact that it lacks some very basic mods that my users have been demanding (rep and thread rating) and phpBB modding scene have been very slow offlate.. there are tons of mods that are stuck in beta and RC stage for years now which should be part of the core system to make it better over all.. I am excited about 3.1 but I cannot wait any longer for that..

Just a question though.. I started with SMF and around 4/5 years back i converted to phpBB.. Will there be any problem is I convert that to myBB now??
Oddly enough I did merges from all the software I have on my localhost and the worst was from mybb to mybb the rest worked perfect and mybb to mybb did give a slight issue (don't ask me what it was but I seem to remember it was something to do with user avatars). But as your site is phpbb I would guess it will work perfectly (my conversion was from phpbb 3 ->mybb 1.64 )
(2012-02-29, 08:31 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]There shouldn't be any issues at all so long as the original merge to phpBB was flawless. The merge system is very good and Dylan's always quick to answer any queries you may have.

I will start conversion in a day or two hopefully.. Will post if i get stuck somewhere Smile

(2012-02-29, 08:46 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]Oddly enough I did merges from all the software I have on my localhost and the worst was from mybb to mybb the rest worked perfect and mybb to mybb did give a slight issue (don't ask me what it was but I seem to remember it was something to do with user avatars). But as your site is phpbb I would guess it will work perfectly (my conversion was from phpbb 3 ->mybb 1.64 )

mybb to mybb??
Pages: 1 2 3