MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing hosts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When I change hosts, do I only upload all the files through FTP client and the database through phpMyAdmin or is there more to it? Do I have to re-install MyBB first?
I've done this many times.

Prep:
Your MyBB Files
A phpMyAdmin Dump of your database

Transfer:
1. Upload all your mybb files to your new account
2. Create a new blank mysql database, linked with a mysql user
3. Import your mysql database via phpMyAdmin
4. Open up your mybb "inc" folder and edit your "config.php" to match your database settings
5. Test your forum, all should work fine. Smile

Note: This only works if your board will have the same URL in the end. This procedure is for transferring everything to a new server, not a new URL.
What he said. If the domain changes as well, make sure to change your general configuration before setting the new domain.
$config['database']['type']
$config['database']['database']
$config['database']['table_prefix']
$config['database']['hostname']
$config['database']['username']
$config['database']['password']

Am I suppose to change all of the above or is there more/less? If I am using x10hosting, how do I find the type and hostname?
It depends what's changed, some of it will probably be the same as it was on the old host. You should be able to find out the type and hostname somewhere in your hosting control panel.
I did all this and it turns out everything loaded fine. Everything seems to load to my old host, how can I change that to load to my new host?
You'll need to update the nameserver information in your domain name providers control panel.
(2012-03-11, 05:09 AM)dalawh Wrote: [ -> ]I did all this and it turns out everything loaded fine. Everything seems to load to my old host, how can I change that to load to my new host?

You have to do 2 more things every1 missed.

You need to open Settings.php and edit the following:

$settings['bburl'] = "NEW URL"
$settings['cookiedomain'] = ".yoursite.com";
$settings['cookiepath'] = "/"; < - Leave as a / if your uploading to root

Now go to your forums Admin CP
Go to Configuration
Then on the settings go to General Configuration

You will need to change the following to your new forums url:

Board URL
Homepage URL
Cookie Domain < -- REMEMBER you must not use HTTP or WWW, and you MUST have a . in front, like .mybb.com for example
Cookie Path

and then your done.
(2012-03-11, 03:59 PM)Projec13 Wrote: [ -> ]You have to do 2 more things every1 missed.

He's just changing host, not domain name I believe. Nothing needs to be changed in ./inc/settings.php
(2012-03-11, 04:04 PM)Alan Shepperson Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-11, 03:59 PM)Projec13 Wrote: [ -> ]You have to do 2 more things every1 missed.

He's just changing host, not domain name I believe. Nothing needs to be changed in ./inc/settings.php

Hes on a free host, so imma assume he had to change domain name. Pretty sure hes using there domain not his own, he has another post started for something else as well.
Pages: 1 2