MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Pokémon Talk - A Pokémon Forum | Officially Launched! | Custom Theme | Register Now!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Which plan are you under?

I know it's on HawkHost, a general shared host is well under 10, especially with them.

Anything else, especially for a starting out forum of that size, is over paying.
The super package. Their last one.
That's so unnecessary.

Why do you need 24GB of HD space? Why 360GB of traffic? Downgrade to Basic - Standard, upgrade as your forum needs it.

For someone that is struggling with hosting costs and needs donations to keep it up, you shouldn't buy a hosting plan you don't need.

I have a forum that gets 15k+ in traffic per day, that uses just around 300GB of traffic per month, all the files & DB combines up to around 10GB.

Realistically, you only need around 30 - 50GB of traffic per month, and a few gigs of space will do.
I might downgrade it, as I thought the super package will just be enough.
You would be able to use their cheapest package mate.
(2012-03-30, 11:51 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]You would be able to use their cheapest package mate.

You think that'll be enough for the forum? And won't ran out of bandwith?
(2012-03-30, 11:50 PM)Sync™ Wrote: [ -> ]I might downgrade it, as I thought the super package will just be enough.

Unless you're hosting like 100+ small sites, the "Super" package is never needed.

Believe me, I started on a shared host and climbed to a dedicated server.

Because by the time you need more space or bandwidth, your forum will have out-grown the other resource needed.

They generally don't disclose their CPU usage limit, memory limit, concurrent users limit, and etc.

By the time your forum exceeds those limits, and you feel the lag/throttle on the board, you'll have to look at moving to another host with higher limits or even a VPS plan. And of course if you go VPS, you'll get a lot more space and bandwidth than any "super" shared hosting anyway.

(2012-03-30, 11:54 PM)Sync™ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-30, 11:51 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]You would be able to use their cheapest package mate.

You think that'll be enough for the forum? And won't ran out of bandwith?

You need to look at some stat tools, your forum probably only uses around 10GB of traffic per month, 20GB max.
I just downgraded the package. I hope the hosting speed won't change.
Anyway, my earlier debate/point wasn't that you should never use a Donation system.

Many forums do it, including PokeCommunity.

It's just, if you're going to view Ads as a way to deter users away, you should view the whole "Donation" system the same.

Especially since you have that bar right just under the "Donate" button, isn't that rather repetitive? You say that you're just putting it out there, as an option for users and it's not like you're asking for it. You really are, if you're giving it that much attention, and it takes up nearly as much space as an actual ad.

The "Donate" button itself should be enough.
All this time, what you meant was the board message? I was going to remove it though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7