MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The Tide Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Notifications have been so useful for me since converting. Members who want the attention of others can quote or tag them. Makes the forum look more socially engaged, before you'd have to send a pm to get someone to view something, but now you can simply @username them. Less pm's, more posts.
Liking posts is good too, it is nice to see when your posts are appreciated.
(2012-03-28, 02:51 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]* pavemen is going to derail a bit

* pavemen released quote_notice plugin a while back that gives users the option to get PM'd when they are quoted in a post (first level quote only)

http://www.communityplugins.com/forum/my...down&did=9

So this problem is solved.....

Not solved at all. Imagine how many PM's you'd receive daily on a semi-active board? Ignoring how long it actually takes. With notifications you don't even have to leave the index page to see who quoted you and where.
correct, this was a solution that uses existing tables/fields. With a new table to store notices, an Ajax type system could be used to list the notices on a given page and refresh once an a while (if at all) and then you can dismiss from the notice area and the DB table gets updated in the background

Not hard to do, only real performance issue would be any kind of refresh.

however, with my plugin as it is, you dont even need to visit the site if you have pm notices via email enabled.
(2012-03-28, 05:39 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]correct, this was a solution that uses existing tables/fields. With a new table to store notices, an Ajax type system could be used to list the notices on a given page and refresh once an a while (if at all) and then you can dismiss from the notice area and the DB table gets updated in the background

however, with my plugin as it is, you dont even need to visit the site if you have pm notices via email enabled.

Fair enough. I guess it is handy for those who'd prefer to be emailed - not sure how many do though. I would have installed your plugin if I didn't already use tagging, which is similar - if you want someone's attention enough you just tag them.

I'd love to know how resource intensive Xenforo's notification feature is - like how it works, how long between refreshes etc. That could end any potential performance arguments for and against it.
(2012-03-28, 05:45 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-28, 05:39 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]correct, this was a solution that uses existing tables/fields. With a new table to store notices, an Ajax type system could be used to list the notices on a given page and refresh once an a while (if at all) and then you can dismiss from the notice area and the DB table gets updated in the background

Fair enough. I guess it is handy for those who'd prefer to be emailed - not sure how many do though. I would have installed your plugin if I didn't already use tagging, which is similar - if you want someone's attention enough you just tag them.

I'd love to know how resource intensive Xenforo's notification feature is - like how it works, how long between refreshes etc. That could end any potential performance arguments for and against it.

totally depends on the system they use. i've looked into it and have a mehtod fo general notices, but on a per user basis like "you've been quoted" there is not a lot of performance gains as its specific to each user.
Quote:To summarise, there needs to be at least one awesome globally used feature in the core of MyBB, I don't know a more useful one than notifications.

I'd rather see a ajax style buddy info and ways for MyBB buddies system to be used. Imagine for instance your buddy comes on the site and you get a popup. Or maybe they make a new post. Yes that's a notification but I'm specifically against the use (not implementation) of a "I got quoted" notification system. On-site ajax popup notifications could be a very strong feature. I guess I'm actually agreeing with you. Smile

So I'd call for more buddy list use. Like only allowing people in your buddy list to see your profile.

Quote:I'd love to know how resource intensive Xenforo's notification feature is - like how it works, how long between refreshes etc. That could end any potential performance arguments for and against it.

Me too. I bought Solidus his XF license mainly so I can have DL access for local testing and review of the source code. I'd like to really see how efficient the actual code is. It's one thing to look snazzy it's another to be efficient. Anyone know the largest XF site url?

Quote:I'd rather see a ajax style buddy info and ways for MyBB buddies system to be used. Imagine for instance your buddy comes on the site and you get a popup. Or maybe they make a new post. Yes that's a notification but I'm specifically against the use (not implementation) of a "I got quoted" notification system. On-site ajax popup notifications could be a very strong feature. I guess I'm actually agreeing with you. Smile

So I'd call for more buddy list use. Like only allowing people in your buddy list to see your profile.

Really good idea, I'd love for the buddy system to actually be relevant/used. That can be part of the notification system haha Toungue

Quote:Me too. I bought Solidus his XF license mainly so I can have DL access for local testing and review of the source code. I'd like to really see how efficient the actual code is. It's one thing to look snazzy it's another to be efficient. Anyone know the largest XF site url?

http://www.ign.com/boards/
http://www.sternfannetwork.com/xen/index.php?forum/
http://www.urban75.net/forums/

Those are the biggest in terms of post count.
Yes, IGN with 70 million is by far the largest.
Labrocca, I got all debug stats if you want them. Here's the basics,

Page Time: 0.2344s

Memory: 11.8028 MB (Peak: 13.0199 MB)

Queries (21, time: 0.0077s, 3.3%)

^Index Page.

Page Time: 0.5326s

Memory: 14.5545 MB (Peak: 16.1489 MB)

Queries (79, time: 0.0193s, 3.6%)

^Viewing a thread with 3100 replies.
79 queries to view a thread...holy crap!

FYI default mybb showthread is just 24 queries and about 5mb.
It's high, but there are a lot of posts in total for that thread, and more posts per page than when I used MyBB.
I have added a few heavy duty addons though, ones which affect just about every page on site. Barebones XF is a lot lighter.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5