MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The Tide Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
It's 20 posts per page on XF yeah? If it were 10, would the queries drop be roughly half?
Forgot to mention, XF database size is nearly 3x larger than that of MyBB. XF developers gave good reason for this though.
Search index table is the culprit.

Quote:It's correct that it's a bit bigger, because data is more specific. A user and it's data isn't just in the user table for example. This allows XF to be very specific when doing SQL queries with PHP and limit what data it's requesting, and in effect be more efficient than others who have it stuffed in a single place. This can also benefit caching quite a bit in certain situations.
Quote:It's high, but there are a lot of posts in total for that thread, and more posts per page than when I used MyBB.

With MyBB wouldn't matter if you had a thread set for 100 or 10. The queries would be the same.

Quote:Forgot to mention, XF database size is nearly 3x larger than that of MyBB. XF developers gave good reason for this though.
Search index table is the culprit.

Search is a resource hog on any big board but 3 times larger seems out of the ordinary.
Search is fine, especially with elasticsearch. http://xenforo.com/help/enhanced-search/
Search index table is larger than posts table, 137mb and 107 mb.
IP's have their own table too, 37mb.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/es-...inx.27497/

The devolopers arguments to use ES vs Sphinx are dumb-lime. He talks about clusters as if a big-board needs 3 servers dedicated to search. LOL. He's right it's probably easier to setup and use but it also uses more resources. 1/2 the point of using external search is resources though. IMHO he took the easy route and not the most efficient one.

I like this reply in that thread.

Quote:I get it that ES comes with more extras that may or may not be useful to some, but the core aspect that big board admins look at is performance in conjunction with resource utilization. Everything else is secondary to that under normal circumstances.

And if any forum software wants to attract big boarders that has to be the focus. Performance is practically everything once you reach a million posts and serving tens of millions of pages a month.

Really can't say I've ever considered XF to be an efficient software. Just first impression I wondered how they'd do all that fancy still efficiently. My guess is that their performance sucks and my fear is that MyBB is going to try and play up to the crowd with XF like features. Part of why I made this thread which has come full circle.
Having such "fancy" features shouldn't necessarily compromise performance, it all depends on how each component was developed. Honestly, I did my fair research in the past on XenForo, and it didn't turn up so great. My reads through their support forum and developer responses alone gave me the impression that it was put together with efficiency set aside and most likely big boards out of mind. My point is, I wouldn't use XenForo as a good example of why you shouldn't have certain features.

I personally think MyBB can incorporate some features to keep up with the evolving industry, as long as the features are incorporated well and highly optimized, there should be no problem; it's all in the implementation.
(2012-03-29, 02:50 AM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]Having such "fancy" features shouldn't necessarily compromise performance, it all depends on how each component was developed. Honestly, I did my fair research in the past on XenForo, and it didn't turn up so great. My reads through their support forum and developer responses alone gave me the impression that it was put together with efficiency set aside and most likely big boards out of mind. My point is, I wouldn't use XenForo as a good example of why you shouldn't have certain features.

I personally think MyBB can incorporate some features to keep up with the evolving industry, as long as the features are incorporated well and highly optimized, there should be no problem; it's all in the implementation.
My opinion
I reviewed XenForo code today for the first time. It's MVC and using Zend Framework. Now I really understand why I don't like it and why it's not efficient.

MVC makes coding easy and fast. It doesn't produce efficient software. Hopefully Yii won't be crap but since 2.0 is not released it will take time to figure that out.

I really dislike MVC frameworks.

MyBB 1.6 is 800 files.
XenForo is 2500.

How is that more efficient for the admins?
that is one of my worries as well with the move to Yii. The full Yii install with demo apps is over 2700 files and is 15mb.

Coppermine has 1,000s of files
OpenX adserver has 1,000's of files

its a PITA to work with. classes extending classes extending more classes is hard to follow and debug at times.....
Quote:classes extending classes extending more classes is hard to follow and debug at times.....

I'm glad to not be only one finding it wasteful and confusing. Literally thousands of files with less than 5 actual php lines.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5