MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: April Fools Pranks on Your Community
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Every year I do a fairly decent prank on my HF community. This year I wrote a plugin that makes it appear I Rep F*cked all my members which means remove all their reps and then they see a -10 rep from me. All the member sees is their own bad rep. I did it with a plugin.

So far it's gone real well and just about everyone is fooled.

Who else likes to use AF to pull sitewide pranks on their community?
I was thinking to use a prank on yaldaram.com but it was quite nasty. Toungue
I would do them, but my community is too small to even think about it...
I did one as well. Stating UB is being sold (still going on). Lots of them got fooled. Smile

Anyways, everyone wants their admin to be a bit funny so I try to stay that way.
The pagination still shows on reputation.php. It would look more realistic if that was hidden too. Wink

I wrote a plugin which made every user look like they were banned (With random ban reasons) and in the error no permission message I added "Click here to unban your account" after "Your forum account may currently be banned" which 'unbanned' them with a simple message saying April fools!

I got quite a few people complaining they were banned for reasons such as "Attempting to hack in to the Admin CP. ". Toungue
(2012-04-01, 06:37 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]I did one as well. Stating UB is being sold (still going on). Lots of them got fooled. Smile

Anyways, everyone wants their admin to be a bit funny so I try to stay that way.

I wouldn't suggest doing that. A huge gaming community I know called Friendcodes, did an April Fools Joke a couple days before that they were being shut down and sued by Nintendo for using the word Friendcode, and that they were selling the site to them. Over a week members lobbied Nintendo with horrible e-mails, and then after a week, the joke was revealed and there was a big community uproar...
(2012-04-01, 06:40 PM)mloclaM nahtaN Wrote: [ -> ]I wrote a plugin which made every user look like they were banned (With random ban reasons) and in the error no permission message I added "Click here to unban your account" after "Your forum account may currently be banned" which 'unbanned' them with a simple message saying April fools!
I saw that in the morning. It was quite nice.

(2012-04-01, 06:43 PM)Chasingu Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't suggest doing that. A huge gaming community I know called Friendcodes, did an April Fools Joke a couple days before that they were being shut down and sued by Nintendo for using the word Friendcode, and that they were selling the site to them. Over a week members lobbied Nintendo with horrible e-mails, and then after a week, the joke was revealed and there was a big community uproar...
Well, my prank here was an obvious one. Users got to know on a certain page that they were fooled. Smile
I know we made a thread about it but we (Audentio Design) did a good one in my opinion:

Basically, we decided to branch out into Justin Bieber merchandise:

http://www.audentio.com/shop/jb

We normally sell themes for MyBB, Xenforo and do custom work... we changed the colours of the site, added a cursor and a bunch of pseudo products that give an interesting message when you click on them Smile
(2012-04-01, 06:43 PM)Chasingu Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-01, 06:37 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]I did one as well. Stating UB is being sold (still going on). Lots of them got fooled. Smile

I wouldn't suggest doing that. A huge gaming community I know called Friendcodes, did an April Fools Joke a couple days before that they were being shut down and sued by Nintendo for using the word Friendcode, and that they were selling the site to them. Over a week members lobbied Nintendo with horrible e-mails, and then after a week, the joke was revealed and there was a big community uproar...

I remember that happening. It was a fairly obvious joke in my eyes, though it was fun to see the community's reaction Smile

I've never tended to pull pranks on my community. I'm never quite organised enough to get something sorted.
Unfortunately for me the biggest day for WWE all year falls on April Fools this year, so we've been busy marketing and preparing for that. Sad
Pages: 1 2