MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Facebook Integration: Receive Notification to New Replies via Facebook?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I see that in MyBB there are several plugins which integrate Facebook with forum board, like http://www.mybbaddons.com/board/thread-1306.html or http://community.mybb.com/thread-82730.html Those plugins are great, however I notice something missing.

That is, I haven't seen a Facebook intergration plugin which let user to subscribe to threads (like the normal subscribe with email) with Facebook notification. So if there is a new reply to a thread user have subscribed, they will be notified from Facebook's notification.

Since Facebook has a huge userbase, I think such a plugin will be neat. So any time there is an activity within the forum board, the user will know if they're accessing Facebook (if they integrated their forum account with Facebook, that is). I think nowadays people are accessing Facebook more often than e-mail, thus rendering e-mail (as a method of notification) less effective than Facebook.

Is such a feature theoretically possible to be made? Using Facebook API, perhaps? Or is there must be other way around?
This can be done no doubt. But too much of coding.
So it is indeed possible? Could you lay out some basic principles to do that? I cannot figure out how to facilitate Facebook app to get specific new replies.
You need knowledge of coding Facebook applications.
I see... is it possible to turn this as a plugin? If it will cost money/paid plugin, I wouldn't mind to pay Smile
as far as I know, you can not push notifications remotely like you want. you can subscribe to a feed/wall, etc or have new replies posted to your wall/page, but not as notifications.
(2012-04-10, 12:05 PM)Mr.Kewl Wrote: [ -> ]This can be done no doubt. But too much of coding.

No it can not. Facebook's API doesn't support notifications. Like Pavement said you could do it by posting to their wall but that's not what you're after.
Hmm... so it is not possible? This gets me confused. However I kind of expected that (was pretty shocked/amazed when Mr. Kewl said that it can be done).

I saw some Facebook applications are sending their invititation/request to me throught the Facebook's notification. Could there be any way to make use of this? Perhaps, makes MyBB "invites" the subscribed user each time a new reply has been made in a topic?
Notifications, IIRC, are based on your account settings for a specific event/trigger. Yes, a pluign/app combination could be made to impact one of the features you have set for notifications.

However it is very impractical just for getting a notification.
I see... I wish I had the necessary coding skill. :/ Tried to figure it out, but failed ultimately. If anyone could make it as a plugin (free or priced doesn't matter), it would be really really helpful.
Pages: 1 2