MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Possibly found a moderator permission bug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

today I noticed that normal Moderators (not Super Moderators) can't see the notice in the header when someone has reported a post. Moderators can still manage reports directly in the ModCP, but just can't see the notice.

I dug around in the global.php and found this piece of code:
$unreadreports = '';
// This user is a moderator, super moderator or administrator
if($mybb->usergroup['cancp'] == 1 || $mybb->user['ismoderator'] && $mybb->usergroup['canmodcp'])
{
	// Read the reported posts cache
	$reported = $cache->read("reportedposts");

// 0 or more reported posts currently exist
	if($reported['unread'] > 0)
	{
		if($reported['unread'] == 1)
		{
			$lang->unread_reports = $lang->unread_report;
		}
		else
		{
			$lang->unread_reports = $lang->sprintf($lang->unread_reports, $reported['unread']);
		}
		eval("\$unreadreports = \"".$templates->get("global_unreadreports")."\";");
	}
}

According to the first note normal moderators should be able to see the notice. But they can't see it. However if I comment out /*$mybb->user['ismoderator'] &&*/ then moderators can see the notices.

So my question is, is this a bug or an intended feature?

Nearly 400 views and no answer? Why is that?
So now this thread has more than 400 views and still no reply? What's the matter? If I overlooked something just say it. It's not very kind of the support team to ignore this thread.
(2012-04-16, 08:43 PM)mattias Wrote: [ -> ]So now this thread has more than 400 views and still no reply? What's the matter? If I overlooked something just say it. It's not very kind of the support team to ignore this thread.

A high traffic website with many bots crawling it constantly, posting to other sites, tweeting threads, etc.. Many of those aren't by humans.

Adding on to that, we're all volenteers. We're not obliged to be on the community 24/7. We have lifes outside of the forums. We're not ignoring anyone and with that attitude you can't expect many people to want to help you.

Are you sure the moderator is assigned to at least one forum and there's at least one reported post in one of those forums?
Normal mods can only see the reported posts of the forum they moderate.
(2012-04-16, 08:51 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure the moderator is assigned to at least one forum and there's at least one reported post in one of those forums?

(2012-04-16, 08:53 PM)Mr.Kewl Wrote: [ -> ]Normal mods can only see the reported posts of the forum they moderate.

Oh I see, that could very well be the reason. I don't have any moderators assigned to a forum. BUT why can moderators see reported posts in the modcp (modcp.php?action=reports) and mark them as read even if they are not assigned to a forum in which a post has been reported?
(2012-04-16, 09:48 PM)mattias Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-16, 08:51 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure the moderator is assigned to at least one forum and there's at least one reported post in one of those forums?

(2012-04-16, 08:53 PM)Mr.Kewl Wrote: [ -> ]Normal mods can only see the reported posts of the forum they moderate.

Oh I see, that could very well be the reason. I don't have any moderators assigned to a forum. BUT why can moderators see reported posts in the modcp (modcp.php?action=reports) and mark them as read even if they are not assigned to a forum in which a post has been reported?

That's the difference between a forum moderator and super moderator.

Forum moderator can see only posts reported in the forum he moderates.
Super moderator can see all the reported posts.
(2012-04-17, 05:48 AM)Mr.Kewl Wrote: [ -> ]Forum moderator can see only posts reported in the forum he moderates.
Yes, but that doesn't make sense to me. If Moderators can't see notifications of warnings then they shouldn't have the right to mark those reported posts as read. In MyBB Moderators are all basically "semi Super Moderators".
(2012-04-17, 12:29 PM)mattias Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-17, 05:48 AM)Mr.Kewl Wrote: [ -> ]Forum moderator can see only posts reported in the forum he moderates.
Yes, but that doesn't make sense to me. If Moderators can't see notifications of warnings then they shouldn't have the right to mark those reported posts as read. In MyBB Moderators are all basically "semi Super Moderators".

Then aren't semi Super moderators.

They are "Forum Moderators"
I also noticed this behavior and reported this as a bug some time ago: http://dev.mybb.com/issues/1959
Check if your moderators are in more than one usergroup. In that case my reported bug affects your moderators.
Actually, no. My moderator account is assigned to the group moderators only.
I believe this is another bug. Moderators shouldn't be able to maintain reported posts from forums they aren't assigned to.
Pages: 1 2