MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PLEASE: Easier Forum Maintenance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Performing maintenance on even the smallest forums is crucial to its performance as well as its functionality.

Please implement the following features:
- The ability/function to rebuild ALL cache at once instead of individually. This can be done with AJAX and next buttons if one cache process is too extensive so that it doesn't time out. ie, first it would rebuild the version cache, then you hit a next button to rebuild the next cache in line, attachtypes, and so on and so forth. It's too difficult to memorize what you're doing manually.
- Repairing and optimizing tables. This feature should include a repair function within it. On particularly large forums, when selecting all tables, the script should automatically execute tables individually with AJAX reloads upon completion to go onto the next table.

This idea has also been posted at http://ideas.mybb.com - please vote for it.

URL: http://ideas.mybb.com/idea/easier-forum-maintenance
I agree with the ability to rebuild all caches, but I have to disagree with the repair table option. That's something which should be handled via a third party script such as phpmyadmin.

What if the table which needs repairing is mybb_users? You wouldn't be able to login to the ACP in the first place.

There's already the task "Tables Check" which automatically repairs tables every hour.
Nathan,

What script knows its own better than itself? If a table is in need of repair, I believe that MyBB should have an effective means to both repair and optimize tables. Something different other than what phpMyAdmin has to offer. Yes you can generally repair and optimize tables in phpMyAdmin because it's a database, but include this function so that MyBB can actually check on the tables, repair, and optimize them as needed so that they're par with the MyBB script, coding, and entire functionality.
That's essentially what the task is for. Whether using a third party script, or the software which uses the database, they both perform the same functionality. You can't make it any different to what phpmyadmin has to offer. They're the exact same queries.

I see many problems with this. The fact is, MyBB uses that database. MyBB needs to access that database and it's tables. With software such as phpmyadmin, all tables could be corrupt but you'd still be able to repair them successfully.
You can always alter the task execution times for table repairs.
It needs to be integrated.
(2012-04-16, 03:21 AM)EGS Wrote: [ -> ]It needs to be integrated.

That's the thing; It doesn't. Chances are if you aren't able to access the main forum, you probably won't be able to access the ACP either. That's what I'm getting at. It's pretty pointless adding a feature to repair the table if the crashed table is preventing the administrator from performing said task.
(2012-04-16, 03:21 AM)EGS Wrote: [ -> ]It needs to be integrated.

Consider reading what Nathan said. If users table is crashed, you won't be able to login to Admin CP. Then how will you be able to repair the table using that integrated task?
Though I am not sure I agree on the repair tables I totally agree on the rebuild cache.
Why would you need to rebuild all the cache? Overkill 101.

As for tables crashing, personally you should be investigating why they have crashed rather than brushing it under the carpet and relying on an automated script to repair it for you. The whole point of the warning is to tell you that something is wrong in the first place.
Pages: 1 2