MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Which one should I choose? phpBB and myBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm shocked phpbb still remains in the same sentence as MyBB.
You want a horrible backend with endless page reloads where banning an user takes about a minute ?
Want to do manual code edits on EVERY 'plugin' there is ?
Would not be satisfied with a low/medium-advanced permission system?
Would prefer static files over an extensive template system from the backend ?

If all these questions have No as your answer, pick MyBB
Why you even ask, of course MyBB.
Don't listen to anything someone else says; the choice is between you and your users. We can tell you how good MyBB is but you have to try it yourself. Smile
(2012-04-20, 09:17 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]Don't listen to anything someone else says; the choice is between you and your users. We can tell you how good MyBB is but you have to try it yourself. Smile

That's what I said! Why shouldn't he listen to me? Toungue
Listen to what everyone here says, trust me.
Well, two of the most important things in a forums are probably users and posts.
What I say is, you use phpBB for some time, and then switch to MyBB, and then ask the input of your users - whether they likes phpBB more or MyBB more.
Honestly, I would prefer MyBB, phpBB looks ugly in my opinion, its just the most used forums software, but not the best one.
I tried phpBB once and I hated it. Did the same with MyBB and loved it and so kept using it. IMHO, it is the best free forum software on the net at the moment!
Here is my dilemma, PhpBB uses xhtml Strict. For that very reason, I want to stay with PhpBB. Now, please give me the reasons why thats not important. I have been told that xhtml strict is faster for one reason. That's my main reason for not switching. Any other reasons? I just can't get over the fact it is xhtml strict. Maybe reason 2 is that it's "tableless" too? Any others?

-----------------------------------------------

(2012-04-20, 07:41 AM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]You want a horrible backend with endless page reloads where banning an user takes about a minute ?
Want to do manual code edits on EVERY 'plugin' there is ?
Would not be satisfied with a low/medium-advanced permission system?
Would prefer static files over an extensive template system from the backend ?

If all these questions have No as your answer, pick MyBB
(2012-05-05, 10:22 PM)error Wrote: [ -> ]Here is my dilemma, PhpBB uses xhtml Strict. For that very reason, I want to stay with PhpBB. Now, please give me the reasons why thats not important. I have been told that xhtml strict is faster for one reason. That's my main reason for not switching. Any other reasons? I just can't get over the fact it is xhtml strict.

It may be faster, but only marginally. You wouldn't know the difference.

(2012-05-05, 10:22 PM)error Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe reason 2 is that it's "tableless" too? Any others?

I don't see that being con for switching. There are tableless MyBB themes out there anyway.

Your main concerns should be usability, performance and accessability. I'd say MyBB beats phpBB in all three of those sectors.
Pages: 1 2 3