MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Change the lengthy registration process
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2012-04-25, 04:02 AM)kdevs Wrote: [ -> ]@uncontrol that is pretty sexy. Is it possible to do that and release it as a theme? (The XML file stuff). I'd do something like that for my upcoming theme.

Hey kdevs, I won't be releasing everything as a theme, since it's based on another person's theme and it's sort of my pride and joy. That said, once the site is finished I'll be documenting my findings and will be happy to share the templates with people.

That said, this was pretty simple to do. A lot can be accomplished by removing fields and features.
I like your registration form too. Job well done.

User registration is a tricky thing, as there's the interest of the owner and the visitor which don't quite match up.
As the owner you'd like to only add users to your database who are real. So you write a piece of software that validates whether the visitor is real, and who he says he is.
Once the user has been validated all is well, and he/she is able to use entire site.

Well from the visitor's perspective, he's being asked by some piece of software to identify himself. Not too hard, were it not for the fact that the user has absolutely no interest doing that. In fact if they could keep their e-mail address from you, they most surely would. It's something you require the user to complete before they get to do what they want.

The harder you make it to for fill the requirement, the bigger the chances the user will be frustrated or even leave.

Notice how I used to word validate, as that is the technical requirement. You don't actually NEED their e-mail address or their password. You need to validate the user and you do NEED a displayname. Really a displayname is they only thing you actually need in the entire registration process. "What would you like to be called on this website?"

The actual validation process would be (in a perfect world) handled by a openID provider.

The perfect registration process would just be a login procedure using an openID provider with an added field: "Your displayname".

1 dropdown with a list of all providers and 1 textfield.
http://sublog.subimage.com/2010/02/17/wh...erspective

Man, I don't know. That does not seem simple to me. Would be better to let people log in with Facebook and Twitter -- those are two sites that combined, most people are using one of them.
The benefits of OpenID aren't the initial registration. It's the simple registration for every other site that uses OpenID.
I think having Social networks and other sites/services have an option to log in should stay has a plugin, or a secondary option. Some people have privacy issues.
(2012-04-25, 06:03 PM)kdevs Wrote: [ -> ]I think having Social networks and other sites/services have an option to log in should stay has a plugin, or a secondary option. Some people have privacy issues.

So? Nobody is forcing them to use those services. This stuff is the future, though.
(2012-04-25, 05:53 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]http://sublog.subimage.com/2010/02/17/wh...erspective

Man, I don't know. That does not seem simple to me. Would be better to let people log in with Facebook and Twitter -- those are two sites that combined, most people are using one of them.
Those are basically openID providers

(2012-04-25, 06:03 PM)kdevs Wrote: [ -> ]I think having Social networks and other sites/services have an option to log in should stay has a plugin, or a secondary option. Some people have privacy issues.
The website you log in at, with your openID account don't/shouldn't get any information out of that except for the username and the fact that the user is valid. What's the privacy issue?

(2012-04-25, 05:57 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]The benefits of OpenID aren't the initial registration. It's the simple registration for every other site that uses OpenID.
I think you mean the process would be lengthy if the user doesn't have an openID provider yet?
Well this is a list of openID providers:
http://openid.net/get-an-openid/
Who doesn't have a google account these days?
If you want to use facebook, there actually ARE privacy issues. Facebook uses their own system called facebook connect, which open a whole lot of information about the user to developers.
I'm aware that Facebook and Twitter are OpenID providers, but logging in directly through them is much simpler than OpenID. OpenID is not going to work unless you have a very tech-savvy audience.
How is logging in with you facebook any easier then logging in with your live-account of gmail-account?
Isn't the experience rather the same?
I agree with Norbert. And in most cases it's much easier to log-in to a Mybb forum, if your browser doesn't forget 'who you are' on that site. But if it does, you only need to enter the captcha, along with your username/pw of course, to get in. NOT DIFFICULT for a human!

It's only one extra step. And it indicates to users that security is #1 to those that don't frequently visit your forums.

Making it any easier only invites spammers!
Pages: 1 2 3 4