MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Built in xThreads like feature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Why, though? The plugin exists separately and works well so why should it be integrated into the core?
XThreads is superb. It makes it possible to turn the MYBB software into a CMS-like system. As MYBB is forum software, not a CMS, then I think XThreads should not be core, though some of it's simpler features, such as different templates for different forums, COULD be part of the core.

@labrocca - XThreads is pretty fast. If you select to filter on multiple fields, then yes, you will see a performance hit. If you use it just as a design tool, then the performance impact is quite small.
(2012-04-29, 05:11 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Why, though? The plugin exists separately and works well so why should it be integrated into the core?

It's been said some other places in this forum but if 2.0 is just what we have now with a new and code base what's the point. We have to add some awesome stuff and it's only logical to look at some of the most popular plug-ins since those are obviously features people like that aren't core. And, although I doubt it who says Zinfandel is going to update it for 2.0.
+1 I would love to see some of the features if not most of xthreads become integrated.

And asking the:

Why is it needed since its already is a plugin, is not a good question.
Plugins exist because users want features that are not there by default. And if certain features are so popular it means a great majority uses it for their forums. Integrating said features is then always a good thing. Since they generally run better if the features are fully integrated into the default system.

A good example in this case wow addons. Things like questhelper/atlas loot/raid unit frames etc. All where done by addon creators before blizzard integrated them into the game. Since they where so popular.
Blizzard like other commercial companies are going to include most used and wanted features in their products as core,they are selling products and have to always follow requests / needs from their customers.

On the other hand Mybb is a free forum software filled with basic and most used (pm system,control cp,mod cp,avatars,sigs,attachments,other usual forum stuff)forum features and suggesting that plugin x should be as core in 2.0 is going to have the same effect as VB 3.8.x / 4 did: forum package filled with useless options.

Quote:I mean it's such a powerful tool it's insane. It adds so much flexibility to mybb that I think if it could be core that would be awesome.

You have few basic thread fields:
-thread prefix (if forum software has prefix system)
-thread title
-thread content
-thread tags (if forum software has tag system)

which are default on mostly used forum softwares (paid or free) and it suits almost all forum owners / admins and users.For additional thread fields (like thread description) plugin would be first option.
Is xthreads really popular though? I think it just has a small hardcore group of fans but I could be wrong there.
I just included this in one of my forums and it is great. It would be awesome if it was included in by default.
(2012-04-29, 04:36 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Is xthreads really popular though? I think it just has a small hardcore group of fans but I could be wrong there.

I think so too.
(2012-04-29, 05:11 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Why, though? The plugin exists separately and works well so why should it be integrated into the core?

Then everything that is already as a plugin/modification should left outside the core?

New administrators may no find it useful but I have seen many that doesn´t find some features that they desire to include into their forums and end using (or at least trying) xThreads.
xThreads is no doubt, a great work by Yumi. But at the same time, it would be sort of unnecessary for large forums running out there. The things which are carried out on large basis and isn't most used should be better suited as plugin IMHO.

There are certain small but effective things which I personally suggest which MyBB should add to core like an option to disable or enable self thread rating because its kind of no use in general that OP should rate the thread. When we give exams, we don't make result, the education department or teachers does, same in this way. So certain small features but effective, like this should be incorporated in core rather than adding a system which isn't most used.

When I see vB forums, I feel like ugh, let me get hold of this ASAP because its stuffed and plumed with unneeded features which also spoils my browsing experience for the forum.

That is what plugins are for. The big features you want, you do it via plugin and if experience any difficulties installing it, come here and grab support or at any third party MyBB sites even.
Pages: 1 2 3 4