MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Feature: Set allowed avatar extensions in ACP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
MyBB doesn't have the option to let the administrator decide what file extensions of Avatars are allowed on his forum. Why?

There are people around who love to upload annoying animated gifs and staff needs always to tell them to not use animated gifs. It's just annoying. I know people can still rename animated gifs to png and upload them but it would be one step in the right direction if MyBB produces an error message when people try to upload gifs.

I don't know if this feature is scheduled for the 1.8 or 2.0 release, but it's not really a hassle to add this to the current MyBB version, no?

I believe this would require some core edits. Can anyone tell me what core edits are needed to lets say only allow png and jpg images for avatars?
Honestly the file size limit would probably be able to nip this in the bud pretty easily.
Yes but this would affect also normal avatars and force users to either have tiny avatars or crappy quality jpg avatars.
(2012-04-29, 02:02 PM)mattias Wrote: [ -> ]There are people around who love to upload annoying animated gifs and staff needs always to tell them to not use animated gifs. It's just annoying. I know people can still rename animated gifs to png and upload them but it would be one step in the right direction if MyBB produces an error message when people try to upload gifs.

As far as I know using an animated GIF as an avatar just makes it show as a static image using the first frame.
(2012-04-29, 07:09 PM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I know using an animated GIF as an avatar just makes it show as a static image using the first frame.

Actually, it plays the animation.
(2012-04-29, 07:09 PM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-29, 02:02 PM)mattias Wrote: [ -> ]There are people around who love to upload annoying animated gifs and staff needs always to tell them to not use animated gifs. It's just annoying. I know people can still rename animated gifs to png and upload them but it would be one step in the right direction if MyBB produces an error message when people try to upload gifs.

As far as I know using an animated GIF as an avatar just makes it show as a static image using the first frame.

(2012-04-29, 07:12 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-29, 07:09 PM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I know using an animated GIF as an avatar just makes it show as a static image using the first frame.

Actually, it plays the animation.

First frame only when it has to resize, otherwise it will play the animation
(2012-04-29, 05:42 PM)mattias Wrote: [ -> ]Yes but this would affect also normal avatars and force users to either have tiny avatars or crappy quality jpg avatars.

I don't know man, try comparing some of the gif avatars on your board to the better quality static ones, the GIFs are probably much larger.
Other forum scripts do allow administrators to set the allowed avatar extensions, why not MyBB? :/
What is the opinion of the MyBB staff?
Honestly it wouldn't do much good. Smart people can just do an .htaccess rewrite.
(2012-04-29, 09:52 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly it wouldn't do much good. Smart people can just do an .htaccess rewrite.
How is that? Are there any side effects?
MyBB does produce an error message when someone tries to upload an exe or a file which is not an image. Why not add the possibility for an administrator to add other file extensions to the blacklist?
Pages: 1 2