MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Huge Influx of spammers after upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After I upgraded to version 1.6.7, I noticed a huge increase in spam I do not know if this is a coincidence or not but it is now unmanageable. It has interrupted my posting time and is frustrating to say the least.

I am using the following programs:
Stop Forum spam [1.2 ]

Spamalyser (0.93)

Registration Security Question (1.2)

and reCAPTCHA Plugin (1.4)

This is somewhat exhausting.. lol

Any advice is welcomeShy

thanks
Disable stop forum spam and recaptcha, they're annoying and don't help that much.
http://mods.mybb.com/view/auto-website-r...in-profile
^ install this, spammers always fill out the homepage.

Alter your spamalyser settings too, increase some of the numbers but only by .1 or .2. Read them carefully.
You can change your security questions also, use questions which confuse bots such as,
"STARNOVA - Which letter is directly before second vowel?"
Things like that. 8+3 is just as ineffective as no question at all.
(2012-05-09, 12:31 AM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]Disable stop forum spam and recaptcha, they're annoying and don't help that much.

Alter your spamalyser settings too, increase some of the numbers but only by .1 or .2. Read them carefully.
You can change your security questions also, use questions which confuse bots such as,

I don't agree.
First of all: ReCaptcha is included in the core code so no need for a plugin. Enable it in the core.
Second: StopForumSpam is THE most useful spam prevention in my experience. I would assume that you didn't configure it correctly. Did you look at the log file of StopForumSpam to see if it successfully blocks registrations? (it's inside the sfs_log.php file)

Another option included in the core MyBB is the hidden captcha feature. Enable it too.

That's nearly all you need to stop spam registrations. And if you do get a spammer on your board use the GoodByeSpammer plugin to remove every trace of him with one click.
If you enter your StopForumSpam API key in the GoodByeSpammer config it automatically reports the details of the spammer to StopForumSpam so future registrations of him are also blocked.

That's all I use and since it all is running and working I have NEVER had another spammer on my board.
(2012-05-09, 02:56 PM)atnun Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-09, 12:31 AM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]Disable stop forum spam and recaptcha, they're annoying and don't help that much.

I don't agree.
First of all: ReCaptcha is included in the core code so no need for a plugin. Enable it in the core.
Second: StopForumSpam is THE most useful spam prevention in my experience. I would assume that you didn't configure it correctly. Did you look at the log file of StopForumSpam to see if it successfully blocks registrations? (it's inside the sfs_log.php file)

Another option included in the core MyBB is the hidden captcha feature. Enable it too.

That's nearly all you need to stop spam registrations. And if you do get a spammer on your board use the GoodByeSpammer plugin to remove every trace of him with one click.
If you enter your StopForumSpam API key in the GoodByeSpammer config it automatically reports the details of the spammer to StopForumSpam so future registrations of him are also blocked.

That's all I use and since it all is running and working I have NEVER had another spammer on my board.

I personally never use recaptcha or stopforumspam either. Captcha images are just annoying for real people wishing to register and the stop forum spam server seems to often face downtime. I'd definitely recommend spamalyser and registration security question. With those two configured correctly I've noticed massive drops in spammer registrations.
Thank you I will try your suggestions and then report here. I appreciate all your help
I came back to say I get 15 or more people trying to register a day that does not check out still. It is driving me crazy but I will continue to be persistent. I delete them after I ban them on the forum changed my questions to be more complex..I just don't know why all of a sudden it is like this where it never was before LOL
If you feel like upgrading to version 1.6.7 causes you some spam.
Then just downgrade to the original version your using.

By the way, i also got hundreds of spammers everyday on my forum.
This is basically how i stop them.
I installed a plugin that moderate all 1st posts made by a user or a newcomer
http://mods.mybb.com/view/required-approvals

so even they spam and spam, it will not affect my forum at all.
Spammers are labelled to spam on first post.
Now with this plugin, this will surely stop spammers.
http://mods.mybb.com/view/required-approvals

combined it with this
http://mods.mybb.com/view/goodbye-spammer
(2012-05-13, 06:58 AM)bestblackhatforum.com Wrote: [ -> ]If you feel like upgrading to version 1.6.7 causes you some spam.

There's no reason why that specific version would attract more spam, unless the version number is showing in the footer in which case it can just be disabled. It's more likely to be a coincidence. All forums will attract spammers over time. It's just a matter of dealing with it effectively.

(2012-05-13, 06:58 AM)bestblackhatforum.com Wrote: [ -> ]Then just downgrade to the original version your using.

That is highly not recommended. We wouldn't support someone trying to downgrade their forum in any way, MyBB wasn't designed to be downgradable. If they break their forum trying to downgrade only they can be held responsible.
I can only repeat what I already wrote since you seem to have ignored it:
configure your stopforumspam.com plugin correctly and you're done with it.
For your convenience I took a screenshot of my settings which work like a treat. I regularly check the logfile and see 10 or more blocked registration attempts per day in it.

[attachment=26284]

Also turn on the hidden captcha field and add the goodbyespammer plugin for the few that come through and you're troubles are gone.

Another hint: reporting back and saying you still have the problem but not telling us what exactly you tried to change is not very helpful for people trying to help and for others trying to learn from the thread Wink
Pages: 1 2