MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Default sign up options for theads and PM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
There is a marked difference between "I want to keep up with the threads I am active in" and "I want to be e-mailed when there are new replies." If I want to be on the forum, I will come to the forum and check. If I want e-mails, I will check it myself.

I think setting the default to subscribe without e-mail notification is safe. But personally, I've hated every forum that has set me for e-mail notification as default. I would like to see some numbers based on how many people turn e-mail notification off on forums as I suspect it is quite a lot.

My suggestion: get one of the existing notification plugins (or wait for Tomm M's) and set the default to subscribe without e-mail. Making subscribing with e-mail as a default is user-hostile, IMO. Many users will not change the default sign-up options, so you should make them as comfortable as possible. Most people are already frustrated with the amount of undesired e-mail they get. Don't associate that feeling of frustration with your own community.
One thing I can agree is most users will not change the option from the default.

That is why "Subscribe to thread without email notification" upon registration is necessary.

"Do not subscribe" does not make sense...well only for spammers who have no intention to return.

If I have participated in a discussion by starting a thread or have posted a reply to someone else's thread, obviously I want to read the posts after my own posts. Make it easier to find the thread is extremely important.
Well I think in general, most users will simply come back to the thread they posted in on their own, since MyBB subscription system does not actually notify the users of new replies and I doubt most users have every clicked on the "subscriptions" tab.
It is not easy to find your own 10~20 posts under different sub-forums if there are 10 categories with 50 sub-forums and 1000+ new posts per day on that forum.

Try to find it manually by looking in the forum is the dumbest way to look for it.
That's what I've been saying. Click on User CP, and you will find all the subscribed threads right in there. The ones with new replies will be bold text. No need for notification if you don't want it. Smile

Email notification is good when you only want to check the thread upon new replies, which is actually the case why I participated in each thread in the first place. I don't just want to post something and never check back. I want to see the replies so I can reply to them as soon as possible.

I know some people hate email notification, as we have already gone through it, but there are also people like email notification, as we have already seen in this thread. Do not subscribe does not make sense and serves no purpose other than making it hard to find where you have posted.
I've set it to subscribe with no email notification by default.
(2012-05-10, 02:46 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]My suggestion: get one of the existing notification plugins (or wait for Tomm M's)

are there any threads about this.
(2012-05-11, 07:49 AM)Ram8349 Wrote: [ -> ]I know some people hate email notification, as we have already gone through it, but there are also people like email notification, as we have already seen in this thread. Do not subscribe does not make sense and serves no purpose other than making it hard to find where you have posted.

Agreed.
(2012-05-11, 08:14 AM)Alan Shepperson Wrote: [ -> ]I've set it to subscribe with no email notification by default.
I am running a forum based on MyBB 2.0 having the same problem where can I change this option in admin panel?
Wow, you're using 2.0? Lucky you!
(2012-05-17, 01:03 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, you're using 2.0? Lucky you!
Since I installed recently I assume I am using the latest, where can I check the build number in admin panel?
Pages: 1 2 3 4