MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: More descriptions in AdminCP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am an admin(not owner) of another forum powered by vBulletin. I saw the differences.
One major one is the ease of use of a vBulletin Admincp. There are many descriptions helping a novice admin(like me). I'd like to see some more descriptions in the mybb admincp. There are a few novice admins in my forums and I'd like a few more descrips. Especially in the Modify Templates section. I find most of it difficult to understand. Which link edits which section etc. I hope my Suggestion will be considered.
Thanks.
~Red Falcon
As this is an ACP suggestion thread, I would suggest making the ACP more "wide". I feel the navigation on the left is too cramped. Some more spacing in the entire ACP would make things look better and tidier. Of course, I haven't seen the Gold ACP yet Wink
The Gold ACP hasn't really changed, apart from the redesign of a few pages - the themes management page specifically.

I'm not sure what you mean by more spacing in the entire ACP.

I know at the current stage the Admin CP leaves a fair bit to be desired. The fact that it is using frames is a real downside to the system but i'm not sure (due to the amount and complexity of options and pages) how to do it without them.

I'm also hoping to during the development (probably won't be complete for Gold), build up a built in Admin CP help system (you would be able to click a help button on certain elements and a window would pop up with the help/tips for that specific section).

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the current Admin CP, where you think improvements could be made and everything - the development isn't just about creating a front end. For you to be able to effectively manage your forums you need a functional, clean, intuitive design.
The help system would be really welcome.
Probably after publicising myBBGold you could concentrate more on improving the Admin CP a bit before you start working on a newer version(if you plan to do a new version). Maybe you can leave away the frames for the moment to concentrate more on the other important parts of it. Like :
Everytime we need to change some things(even minor things) we have to edit the templates. And not everyone knows the codes. So maybe you can make some of them more simpler to use. Like we choose between two radio buttons for a setting and not change the templates everytime.
Quote:Like we choose between two radio buttons for a setting and not change the templates everytime.
Alot of things are already customisable to an extent. If we start doing that it would generally mean twice the amount of templates, twice the amount of template usage, and make it alot harder to find exactly what you're looking for.

Alot of the time in a forum system you get an "out of the box" solution which works for most users. Some things that you may want to change may have been included in a setting because there was such a demand for it, other things for example you would have to edit the templates for. To an extent it's always going to be like this.

What are some options, however, that you would like to see in the settings so you don't have to change the templates as much?

Also, of course there will be newer versions of MyBB. Gold just really marks the point that MyBB is no longer a release candidate or a beta - and is a supposid "final" which should be perfectly stable (however, no program is never without bugs).
Chris Boulton Wrote:What are some options, however, that you would like to see in the settings so you don't have to change the templates as much?
Probably some of those buttons(Home, Forum, Login, Logout..., New Thread, Edit, Quote...etc).
I have to goto the templates and find out where to change the buttons of my forum. It might be difficult, but I'd like to see it still. I haven't allowed other admins in my site access to template editing so if this could be made, even they can change some of the buttons of the forum.
You know that you can actually change the image directory for the board, then copy the old one and replace the existing images with the new version's right?

Hopefully in Gold we'll have some more image directory options per theme:
Main images directory
Postbit images directory
Toplinks images directory
Posting images directory (new thread, new reply)
etc.

Please don't keep this thread for just discussing improvements in that area, as I said before, I want to hear about all of the improvements you would like to see.
Chris Boulton Wrote:The Gold ACP hasn't really changed, apart from the redesign of a few pages - the themes management page specifically.

I'm not sure what you mean by more spacing in the entire ACP.

I know at the current stage the Admin CP leaves a fair bit to be desired. The fact that it is using frames is a real downside to the system but i'm not sure (due to the amount and complexity of options and pages) how to do it without them.

I'm also hoping to during the development (probably won't be complete for Gold), build up a built in Admin CP help system (you would be able to click a help button on certain elements and a window would pop up with the help/tips for that specific section).

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the current Admin CP, where you think improvements could be made and everything - the development isn't just about creating a front end. For you to be able to effectively manage your forums you need a functional, clean, intuitive design.
By spacing I mean whitespace in between elements, so that everything looks less busy. I will make some screenshots to show you when I get home this afternoon.

I do not really like the current permissions system in the ACP. When I have edited a forum's permissions, I get sent to a huge page with a listing of all permissions per forum for every group I have on my forums. I would love to see that huge list disappear and make room for the thing you already have elsewhere: just squares with boxes in that that you can tick to give a particular user group a particular right.

Screenshots will be coming this afternoon, so you will understand what I mean.
Here is an example, where the two-sided arrows are a little more bottom/upper margin/padding would be nice, to make things look less busy.
Adding on to kilroy's post(s) on the left frame with the forum option things - where it says board settings, forum managment, moderation que etc. Could there be like a little button that when you click ot, it minimizes the forum option menu things (basically like what you can do with the forum catergories you can minimize and expand them).
Pages: 1 2