MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: EU Cookie Law and MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2012-05-22, 02:15 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]but that is a Google rule for treating the bot different than a regular user in terms of content access, it is not related to the new cookie law at all. they just dont want you to allow the bot access to content that a regular guest can not see so it gets indexed and then becomes a teaser to those who search

Yes but if you would simply slap a splash page infront of it with the terms, cookie information by adding the code to your index-portal .php files (which is the easiest way to solve these issues), but at the same time let google skip this you are doing somethign that isnt allowed.

Anyways this is off topic quite a lot but there needs to be a way to inform people about the new cookie information/terms (for guest mostly) while at the same time letting search bots index your site properly.

Quote:If I just put in the user agreement, the text block you get in the signup process that the site will place cookies and by registering you accept this, think that would suffice ?

Here lies the problem since guest also receive cookies so..

Is there anywhere a list with detailed information what each individual cookie exactly does/stand for?

Also a good example of how it should be done is:
http://www.ico.gov.uk/

And here how you would need to detail it:
http://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/privacy_statement.aspx
Oh well, My servers are in Germany and I live in Holland, so I'm sure we'll postpone this decision anyway.
(2012-05-22, 02:55 PM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]Oh well, My servers are in Germany and I live in Holland, so I'm sure we'll postpone this decision anyway.

You have untill the 1st of july in the netherlands.

http://ictrecht.nl/reclame/de-cookiewet-is-erdoor/
(2012-05-22, 03:59 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]it seems that MyBB could use a plugin to prompt existing users and guests that have not already consented via registration agreement.

Then the consent form can remove cookies if consent is not provided.

How would the plugin know who was a guest that needed to be prompted and who was an already consenting member who just hadn't logged in yet?

It looks like you are right about the consent form removing cookies if consent is not provided, otherwise it seems that there can be no compliance with the new law.
Well, deadline in UK is tomorrow! Do you take a risk or just shut up shop? lol!!!

http://econsultancy.com/uk/blog/9947-eu-...compliance
(2012-05-25, 08:54 AM)Tom Catterick Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-22, 03:59 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]it seems that MyBB could use a plugin to prompt existing users and guests that have not already consented via registration agreement.

Then the consent form can remove cookies if consent is not provided.

How would the plugin know who was a guest that needed to be prompted and who was an already consenting member who just hadn't logged in yet?

It looks like you are right about the consent form removing cookies if consent is not provided, otherwise it seems that there can be no compliance with the new law.

Doesnt matter anymore we talked about this in the other thread. But every site that gets traffic from a EU country needs as of tomorrow to have this new system in place.

A plugin is not enough for this so.
Secondly there is a way pavemen showed how temporarely untill 1.6.8 (which will apparently release next or in two weeks or something) fix this.
Good News:
Cookies law changed at 11th hour to introduce 'implied consent'

Bad News:
Only applies to sites/servers in the UK.

(2012-05-25, 10:44 AM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]...But every site that gets traffic from a EU country needs as of tomorrow to have this new system in place....

Let's hope not; It looks like the site has to be in the EU or the law does not apply...

Non-EU businesses without assets in the region could theoretically circumvent the directive and use cookies to provide targeted services, while EU-based businesses doing so would risk prosecution. That would put UK online retailers in particular at a severe disadvantage. ~Source

// status changed from "Top 5" priority back to the "Top 200" ToDo list.
(2012-05-26, 04:38 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]Good News:
Cookies law changed at 11th hour to introduce 'implied consent'

Bad News:
Only applies to sites/servers in the UK.

(2012-05-25, 10:44 AM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]...But every site that gets traffic from a EU country needs as of tomorrow to have this new system in place....

Let's hope not; It looks like the site has to be in the EU or the law does not apply...

Non-EU businesses without assets in the region could theoretically circumvent the directive and use cookies to provide targeted services, while EU-based businesses doing so would risk prosecution. That would put UK online retailers in particular at a severe disadvantage. ~Source

// status changed from "Top 5" priority back to the "Top 200" ToDo list.

Excellent news Big Grin Someone with real sense has woken up at the 11th hour!
I don't think a site has to be in EU to comply that bogus law. Bad thing, can anyone confirm it?
The site owner has to be in the EU or the law does not apply.
^^^
Confirmed by multiple sources, including Matt here at MyBB.
Pages: 1 2 3 4