MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Cookie rules and suggested change.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
(2012-05-24, 04:07 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Without cookies though the board has no way of knowing which threads a guest has viewed so if it's a lurker it could be annoying for them.

* Alex Smith really wants to rant about this law doesn't want to digress the topic.

The problem is that the bbc way is a Opt OUT way.. while as i read it you need to Opt IN not the other way around. Maybe im horribly mistaken though.
(2012-05-24, 03:55 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]Because it says "If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the BBC website." Sounds simple enough to me.

My issue is that the site places the cookies before you are even prompted. This is what i was talking about. The law says it should be request permission before placing cookies but if not possible before then as soon as possible may be acceptable. This is a gray area to me, but I assume that the BBC has enough lawyers that have determined their implementation has acceptable risk (they can afford a fine though unlike regular folks)
(2012-05-24, 04:02 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly i find it risky to do it that way. I think it would be better to disable them for guest unless they accept them (with such a banner).

Does anyone know what the position would be if you put a notice on your site saying to guests that as a guest your use of the site is taken as consent to use cookies and if you don't consent to use cookies you may not continue to use the site?
If you're from the UK Tom, then there are other UK sites that are handling this that way.

The ICO have said the rules are open to interpretation; the backbone is that you have a clear and full privacy policy dictating your cookie usage.
(2012-05-25, 12:25 PM)Tom Catterick Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-24, 04:02 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly i find it risky to do it that way. I think it would be better to disable them for guest unless they accept them (with such a banner).

Does anyone know what the position would be if you put a notice on your site saying to guests that as a guest your use of the site is taken as consent to use cookies and if you don't consent to use cookies you may not continue to use the site?

No that wouldnt be enough, because then you need to give them an option to clear all the cookies assosiated with your site. You probably could create some button that redirects the user to a nother page. On which you have a button to clear said cookies. But just saying that and still putting cookies on their device, without the option to remove them is not enough as far as i know.
Every browser offers the option to remove them...
(2012-05-25, 02:13 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Every browser offers the option to remove them...

As does MyBB itself.

http://community.mybb.com/misc.php?action=help&hid=3
Never looked for it so honestly didn't know Toungue.

On a side note I'm going to say a message at the start is enough because that's what a government website is doing.

https://www.gov.uk/
(2012-05-25, 02:17 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-25, 02:13 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Every browser offers the option to remove them...

As does MyBB itself.

http://community.mybb.com/misc.php?action=help&hid=3

What lines of code are used when mybb clears the cookies ?

I would really like to know this if i ever want to write a custom page that deletes them for a user so. Well i am more or less thinking about doing that, adding in the header a simple link to the privacy document. And in the privacy document a link to a custom page that deletes all the cookies but also doesnt put any new ones back. So no guest cookies etc.

Also when using that function it doesnt remove the cookies, it only seems to empty them.
my_unsetcookie("mybbuser");
my_unsetcookie("sid");
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12