MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Split the Support Team into Mods and Actual Support?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So, looking at the support section I only see 1 thread on the first page and 2 threads on the second page with a response from an actual support team member. I'm not at all trying to say they do a bad job helping the forum, but the support section gets neglected a lot. Out of the 6 support threads I've ever started here at MyBB only one has been successfully solved and marked as such.

What I'm getting at is maybe you guys should start a moderators group, considering they do a ton of moderating and not very much support? That way, the actual support team can take care of the support forum. Just a thought, really, as you have an SQA member doing 50% of your support, and members doing the rest. xp

Again, it's not that they do a bad job period, just that they do great as moderators in all the other sections but seemingly don't have enough time for support. :/
From memory, a moderator group has been suggested numerous times and rejected the same amount.
Agree. (This could lend to give oithers the oppotunity to join the support team?)

(2012-05-23, 09:20 AM)Joshua Mayer Wrote: [ -> ]From memory, a moderator group has been suggested numerous times and rejected the same amount.

When/why did you left the team O.O? Do you never announce thi kind of stuff?
(2012-05-23, 11:10 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Agree. (This could lend to give oithers the oppotunity to join the support team?)

People are free to apply, if they want to dedicated their time towards the project then that's fine. Smile

I think it's a matter of time than anything. I try to dedicated as such time to MyBB as I can, whether it be closing tickets, fixing bugs, helping out users or generally moderating reports and such. A few staff from the support team have their A-Levels currently and other such exams. That does consume their time as real life comes before the internet. MyBB is a community ran project so users are free to help with supporting other members and a lot of the time that is the case. If it wasn't for the community we'd be completely swamped.

Generally speaking there isn't much to moderate. A few spammers, the odd thread posted in the incorrect forum, reported posts, etc.

(2012-05-23, 11:10 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]When/why did you left the team O.O? Do you never announce thi kind of stuff?

He left ~6 months ago. Wink
We're very fortunate that our community is very helpful and skilled to answer support threads from users when our support team is unable to do so. Although I feel it is an impossible task to expect members of the team to answer every thread - and to provide a successful outcome - all of the time.

As volunteers, it can also be impossible for us to dedicate an hour to get to the root cause of a particular problem - as is needed in some cases. Worse if it's passed to me and it takes 2 weeks to get to the top of my to-do list. Shy

I think you've also got to consider when and how team members access the forum. I was once told to ignore moderation because I should be developing; but what happens when I'm using my iPad and have no access to do so? Should I just ignore that spammer who has just made 9 threads?

All things considered there is no need for a separate moderation (or 'community') team. We've considered the pros and cons in the past and unless things dramatically change I don't see a reason to reconsider it. If you have problems with the efficiency of the support team, I suggest you raise your concerns with Tim and Matt.
I am in support of the idea, but also understand the other side.
What I think would be useful if that a topic can get a special status ( instead of resolved/unsolved ) that if numerous community members can't help it, maybe a moderator/staff can look at it then.
Atleast this would help that half the threads remain unsolved.
Every time I check the support forum most question are answered. But, most OPs don't update the topic to make it look like they were answered from the thread listing. And, the ones that don't get answered are usually plugin questions or something that we can't really help with.
Few months ago, there was a Junior Support Group (I guess) where the users (who voluntarily give support) were moved. Alan Shapperson was one in that group if I recall correctly.
Junior support group? I don't remember this. The only thing close to it that I can think of was mentors.
(2012-05-23, 01:20 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Junior support group? I don't remember this. The only thing close to it that I can think of was mentors.

There was a junior developers group a while back. There hasn't been any junior support group as far as I'm aware.

The mentors group didn't work out, a dedicated moderation team won't work either.
Pages: 1 2 3 4