MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A default tabbed menu or sidebar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I always liked that tabbed menu on forums specially if you have too many different section and tabbed menu makes the navigation across the forum very easy and also makes it look well arranged.

If tabbed menu is not possible then how about a sidebar to show latest threads of selected sections on index page or so ? Smile
Use Plugin: MyTabs. Although it would be nice if it was implemented in the software.
The thing is like 99% of forums don't need tabs.
(2012-06-06, 03:32 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]The thing is like 99% of forums don't need tabs.

how you can say that are you the owners of those forums ? Dodgy

Its ok if you don't need them
(2012-06-06, 03:41 PM)Amplifier Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-06-06, 03:32 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]The thing is like 99% of forums don't need tabs.

The only real use of tabs in my opinion is still only to have differnt sections for different user groups.
It should not be used were its used most of the time just to split up to forum in multiple sections were the categories are for.

A system like tabs are useful in case you have a moderators forum or a VIP users group section. But most simply use it as a replacement for categories. Making multiple sections less visible meaning less posting in those sections.
(2012-06-06, 06:36 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-06-06, 03:41 PM)Amplifier Wrote: [ -> ]

The only real use of tabs in my opinion is still only to have differnt sections for different user groups.
It should not be used were its used most of the time just to split up to forum in multiple sections were the categories are for.

A system like tabs are useful in case you have a moderators forum or a VIP users group section. But most simply use it as a replacement for categories. Making multiple sections less visible meaning less posting in those sections.

I see what you are saying and hadn't actually thought of it in that way before, but if you have many categories with many forums within them then tabbed menus are really helpful as it stops the page being overly long.

Aventura
Most people that have many sections have too manysections (forums/categories). I don't want this to be default, it works well as a plugin.
IMHO tabs are only popular because of HF. I was first to use them, created the first MyBB plugin for it, and HF is the largest MyBB forum. But no forum should use tabs unless it scrolls twice it's length and needs to organize it's forum into at least 4 category tabs.

Tabs are way overused by MyBB admins now. On brand new forums with no real content. You'll see the same tabs HF has with similar forums. No originality at all. And the forums have no real draw either.

So hopefully you understand my view when I say I hope MyBB doesn't add this as a default option.
yeah guys i got it.
Any additional forced one click at the index page is one click too much. Tabbed menus are horrible, even on forums with a large amount of categories. They are only good for people who can't organize their forums with main and subforums properly.
Pages: 1 2