MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Remove unordered list bullet without affecting unordered lists?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, so I know that this question makes you go: "Erm, that isn't possible, you said so yourself by asking it" but hear me out...

I have added the top menu from my wordpress theme to the top of my forum theme - the problem is that the ul setting for the menu to look right is: "list-style: none"

Is there a way for this to be the case for my menu but not for posts as doing this prevents the use of unordered lists (they still work but no bullet appears, obviously)

Thanks
Aventura
give the nav menu a class or id of nav_menu and then call it nav_menu ul.
Well currently it has a class of "nav" and an id of "top-menu" but I do not understand the CSS enough to put the "list-style: none" in the correct place.
Forum URL please?
(2012-06-06, 04:22 PM)Roach Wrote: [ -> ]Forum URL please?

http://forum.viper-network.co.uk

Thanks
I am unsure of what you want now after seeing the site... not sure where the bullets come in? Can you expain further... use screenshots if you can.
You are probably not showing us the theme you plan to edit. If you look in chrome or opera or firefox and inspect element you will see the hierachy.

This may work:

.nav ul { 
list-style: none outside none;
}

As the theme is not visible it is the best I can do.
OK I understand as curently there is no visible issue Smile

So if I remove the bullet reset line of:

ul { list-style: none; }

Then the menu will appear like this:
[Image: unwanted.png]

However with the bullet reset line in they do not appear (as you saw on the site) but now unordered lists do not work correctly:
[Image: no-bullets.png]

Thanks for your help

Aventura

EDIT: Lee, it should be showing you the theme I am on about... Also Firefbug was my best friend in getting it to work in the first place I just can't figure this part out Smile
aha

ul#top-menu { 
float: left;
padding-left: 36px;
list-style: none outside none;
}

If you appy it to just ul then it is global - by applying it via the ID it is applied just to that bit.

I have to admit I am a bit baffled why you did it that way round - I would probably have gone with a nav menu id and the ul as a child of that.

#nav_menu {
margin-top:-13px;padding:0px;font-family:inherit;font-size:13px;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;border-top: 3px solid #E7E5E6;
}
#nav_menu ul {
background:#EDECEC;color:#fff;height:35px;list-style:none;margin-right:5px;padding:0;
}

Html so:

<div id="nav_menu">
<ul>
<li id="home"></li>
</ul>
</div>
(2012-06-06, 04:59 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I have to admit I am a bit baffled why you did it that way round - I would probably have gone with a nav menu id and the ul as a child of that.

All I did was take the HTML output of the menu from my WordPress site and place it in the header for the template. Then copy and paste followed by trial and error of the CSS involved.

The reason it is that way round is because the WordPress theme designer(s) for the theme used a set of CSS to reset all the CSS styles (http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/css/reset) before then individually styling them to prevent themes appearing differently on different browsers - it just so happens that the ul reset doesn't get superseded later and so applies to the menu (as necessary).

Thank you very much that has worked - final quick question: are ordered lists normally about a tab in from the left compared with unordered lists?

Thanks very much!
Aventura

For anyone who saw all my previous edits: this is the final one - caching will be the death of me...
Pages: 1 2