MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I'm getting dumber
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm a 15 year old going on to being a Sophomore in High School. I recently found out i'm getting dumber and dumber and I don't know why..I would say stupid things that make me look like an idiot, my grades would go down, I get distracted easily during tests in school, and i'm getting really sad because I hate disappointing my mother like this..It's starting to make me really shy, mad and I would miss the answer to the most simple questions during tests and i'm starting to lack common sense. As much as I study I never get the right answers. I don't know if this is a medical/normal thing but I really need to raise my grades up. I don't take any medications or do any drugs..I don't know if there's anything as to "Raise my IQ" but if there is please shed some light on me because I really need to do so. Sorry for this big text but I just had to let it all out because I have no one else to talk to.
Stay way from them damn girls! They won't do you any good Toungue.

But, honestly I would say just relax. Stress in my experience just makes things harder than they really are for you. Talk to your teachers see if you can stay after school for help or look for a tutor.
Grades and marks mean nothing. At all. I coasted through elementry school with a D- minus average. I took AP (Advanced placement) courses in highschool. It's the method of learning really.

Regardless you seem to show symptoms of anxiety. Go talk to your doctor about it. You definitely sound low level if it's not stress based. Stressed based anxiety is most common in your age group. There are ways to help that, with medicine and naturally. I found meditation really helps calm me down.

As for "Raising IQ" there is some debate on that. Last I heard Omega 3 Fatty acids are what you want. You can get them in teas now, but I used to take pills. Or eat a lot of fish.
I really thought I had Anxiety, but I don't want to waste my moms time to go to the doctor for something I might not have, I eat a lot of fish, not being stereotypical but I'm Asian so I eat a lot of Fish, and that's another thing is since i'm Asian, pretty much everyone I know school,family,friends all expect a lot from me because pretty much all the Asians in my school take AP, Honors, IB classes and I take normal classes and struggle through those..so that gives me a lot of pressure and I get really embarrassed, and I know I shouldn't but since everyone is pressuring me saying "Your Asian your supposed to be smart" gets to me..I don't make terrible grades like 60's but I do 80's and sometimes 70's in tests, is there anyway of knowing I have Anxiety without going to the doctor because I have not been to the doctor in a pretty long time, last time was for a Flu Shot and the doctor didn't find anything wrong with me.
Anxiety is not something a doctor will see of they aren't looking for it. There are no visible signs, as it is "all in your head" Sad however, a good psychologist/doctor should be able to diagnose you through talking to you, rather than examining Smile

If you are struggling, and you think you need it, talk to your mum, I'm sure she'll understand.
This is all going to seem pretty irrelevant once you finish school, depending on what career you want to have. I don't even remember how to do long division.

If your school has a counselor, you should go talk to them.
80s an 70s are great marks in my opinion. I consider my self a smart teenager, able to start a brand, run websites, design, but in school I flunk stuff and just fool around. If you were failing it would be different.

I would say just take it easy there's nothing wrong with those marks, but if you feel you can achieve higher you should do as said above, stay after school and get a tutor.
Oh I know this feeling all too well, I went through this stage in the fall and originally I thought I was experiencing this lack/decreasing level of intelligence because I started drinking/smoking occasionally throughout the previous summer however, I haven't been able to gather enough evidence to blame it on that quite yet.

To combat this problem, I took up various activities that really exercised my brain like completing a Rubik's cube, solving sudoku puzzles and programming. I changed my diet and reduced my intake of coffee and other junk such as candy and fast food, I also took it easy on the drinking and smoking. I decided to cut my t.v. time in half and dedicated that extra time to running/walking for a couple kilometres a day.

Since then, I feel a lot better about my intelligence and entire self for that matter, however I'm sure this is a normal part of life so I wouldn't worry to much about it.
(2012-07-02, 07:11 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Grades and marks mean nothing. At all. I coasted through elementry school with a D- minus average. I took AP (Advanced placement) courses in highschool. It's the method of learning really.

(2012-07-03, 04:10 AM)Alex H. Wrote: [ -> ]80s an 70s are great marks in my opinion. I consider my self a smart teenager, able to start a brand, run websites, design, but in school I flunk stuff and just fool around. If you were failing it would be different.

I would say just take it easy there's nothing wrong with those marks, but if you feel you can achieve higher you should do as said above, stay after school and get a tutor.

I guess it depends on what you want out of life.

I suppose if you never want to get into a decent college and have the mentality and fortitude to finish it and have a better chance of getting a higher paying job that turns in a career then the above advice is great. I don't know of anyone that is in a white collar "career" that they love and is making as much money as they hoped that did not get an AA at the minimum.

Especially in the current job market ( and I suspect in the next several years which by the time you will have entered) will be inundated with so many potential employees, that there needs to be something to make you stand out. Not graduating wont help. Having just an AA may not help either.

Maybe I am just old (40) but a good solid education is essential unless you are a going to be an entrepreneur but you need skills in order to do that successfully.

But if you are okay with a blue collar job, hey its an honest living and I did it for a long time during high school and early college, then more power to you. Skilled labor is essential and good grades are not super important.
(2012-07-03, 04:51 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-02, 07:11 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Grades and marks mean nothing. At all. I coasted through elementry school with a D- minus average. I took AP (Advanced placement) courses in highschool. It's the method of learning really.

(2012-07-03, 04:10 AM)Alex H. Wrote: [ -> ]80s an 70s are great marks in my opinion. I consider my self a smart teenager, able to start a brand, run websites, design, but in school I flunk stuff and just fool around. If you were failing it would be different.

I guess it depends on what you want out of life.

I suppose if you never want to get into a decent college and have the mentality and fortitude to finish it and have a better chance of getting a higher paying job that turns in a career then the above advice is great. I don't know of anyone that is in a white collar "career" that they love and is making as much money as they hoped that did not get an AA at the minimum.

This is incorrect. Most colleges universities have programs that will let you get into any program you want after a year of studies that makes up for highschool. A good friend of mine dropped out at the start of grade 11 and took that course so she could go to college faster.
Pages: 1 2