MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Windows or Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hiya guys,

I'm currently running windows 7 and was thinking of installing ubuntu alongside windows 7 (i.e I could uninstall ubuntu at any time if I didn't like it and have windows 7 still installed)

I have a couple of questions though:

What are the advantage and disadvantages of linux / windows

Can I install both linux and keep windows on my pc (so I can choose which to boot)

What distribution of linux is better (i.e CentOS, Ubuntu)

Is anyone running linux? If so could you post a screenshot

Is it any good? Toungue

Thanks guys!

This is what I had a look at:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/w...-installer
(2012-07-07, 03:40 PM)vernier Wrote: [ -> ]What are the advantage and disadvantages of linux / windows

In my case I work with Linux every day (server wise) so it was only common sense to switch to a Linux based desktop OS. It's a lot easier to use one operating system instead of two completely different ones.

The only disadvantage I see with using Linux is software compatibility. It's possible to get Windows software working on Linux (Under Wine for example) but at some point something just won't be able to run under Linux.

(2012-07-07, 03:40 PM)vernier Wrote: [ -> ]Can I install both linux and keep windows on my pc (so I can choose which to boot)

Indeed you can. That's called dual booting. If you're not too keen on dual booting manually you can use Wubi. I used it a few years ago and it was perfect for when I used Windows.

(2012-07-07, 03:40 PM)vernier Wrote: [ -> ]What distribution of linux is better (i.e CentOS, Ubuntu)

I would never recommend using CentOS as a desktop OS. I use it on all my servers but for a desktop I'd have to recommend either Fedora or Ubuntu. Ubuntu is probably what you're looking for as an everyday use desktop.

(2012-07-07, 03:40 PM)vernier Wrote: [ -> ]Is anyone running linux? If so could you post a screenshot

Fedora 16, Security Lab. KDE.

http://i.imgur.com/ImrPk.png

There's different environments to suit your needs.

(2012-07-07, 03:40 PM)vernier Wrote: [ -> ]Is it any good? Toungue

I've never used Windows since switching to Linux. I hope I'll never have to.
I am running a dual boot for about 4 years now. > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_boot
I am running Windows XP Pro and Mandriva which works fine Big Grin
Thanks for that detailed explanation, Nathan! Smile

I've used windows for a while now and I've heard some good reviews about Linux as a desktop.

I would like to give it a go, if I really can't get on with it, I could always uninstall it I guess.

Would you recommend Fedora or Ubuntu? Also which one would be the best version to go for?

Thanks again Nathan, +Rep
Ubuntu is easyer to use for someone that never tried Linux I would say.
(2012-07-07, 04:01 PM)vernier Wrote: [ -> ]Would you recommend Fedora or Ubuntu? Also which one would be the best version to go for?

If I were you, I'd start with a simple and plain Ubuntu installation. If you're not to keen on that you could try Xubuntu (Ubuntu, XFCE) or Kubuntu (Ubuntu, KDE). It's all about picking something you're comfortable with.
Ubuntu is commercially backed so its up to date. Its free too.
Ok thanks Nathan

I had a look through the three you suggested and liked Kubuntu

How do I go about installing this now? Also I read somewhere to check it in live cd mode first to check all hardware works with it (as i'm running windows)

Thanks again Smile
Wubi would be your best option. It's safe and easy to use.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download/

"Wubi is an officially supported Kubuntu installer for Windows users that can bring you to the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Kubuntu as any other Windows application, in a simple and safe way. Are you curious about Linux and Kubuntu? Trying them out has never been easier!"
Hey Nathan - thanks for the response

(2012-07-07, 03:51 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-07, 03:40 PM)vernier Wrote: [ -> ]Can I install both linux and keep windows on my pc (so I can choose which to boot)

Indeed you can. That's called dual booting. If you're not too keen on dual booting manually you can use Wubi. I used it a few years ago and it was perfect for when I used Windows.

so will Wubi Just install it, it will still allow me to choose which os to boot when I start my pc as I may decide to use either

Thanks Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9