MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Common Webmaster Mistakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Mostly sound advice.

I understand the theme discussion. No normal user is going to look at a forum and think, "Ugh! That theme is so overused!" However, I don't think it's possible that an uncustomized theme is going to suit the feel of your site properly.
(2012-07-13, 08:13 AM)Irreligious Wrote: [ -> ]I understand your point, guys. And in some way, I agree. But I always tell them to keep conversations on the shoutbox for stuff like "Hey man, what's up" or "Gosh, I feel good today". That chit-talk. I'd rather have those type of discussions in the shoutbox than having them in the forum games section (I'm not using a shoutbox in my new forum and I get a lot of chat posts in the forum games), for example.

But that's what PM's are for lol. It depends on your style, you could easily make a rule banning that type of LQ discussion and junk the posts until they get the point, directing them to PM's. Or you can let it go. Though I'm bias as I'm completely against any shoutboxes, even on large sites I despite the thought of them but understand them being there more than I do on smaller forums.

As for the theme debate. This thread is filled with tips, I don't think you can argue that having a good theme is a bad or inaccurate tip to give to new users. Nine times out of ten the theme will have a heavy impact on whether a new user signs up or not.
I agree with Anxiety. Over the times, for example, GMAIL changed vastly, now with brilliant CSS 3 effects and dynamic update, and see hotmail, basically still there (IE's brother, lol). If I am visiting hotmail and gmail signup page for first time, I would be definitely compelled to go with GMAIL rather than over hotmail.

But that too depends upon a user as to how much attraction UI fetches to him, but yeah, in major cases, it's the deal.
I have to say, that when I think of shoutboxes, I'm with Anxiety. I simply despise them, hence the important of not having them in my thread. Logically, it makes sense though. As a new community you'll want as many threads as possible. And, people tend to overuse the shoutbox. If you know how to use it, it could benefit your form, by bonding the community. But with most webmasters they add it then only contribute to the shoutbox. Hence the distaste for it.

For themes, it's really inexcusable to have a good theme. Because honestly, I'll leave any website if they don't look good, and such. For webmasters, I don't care how they get it as long as it looks good. I've seen extremely customizes apart themes (whatever Justin's 1.4 series was), that looked amazing. So, it is possible, people just don't care to do it.
(2012-07-13, 03:14 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Mostly sound advice.

I understand the theme discussion. No normal user is going to look at a forum and think, "Ugh! That theme is so overused!" However, I don't think it's possible that an uncustomized theme is going to suit the feel of your site properly.

Well but one of the common critism people give is "You're using Afresh? EWWW"

Normal users eat that up and twice on sunday.
Tbh, any theme is good if it can be customized enough to match a site. But IMO custom are the best, totally yours.
Oh orange, I committed mistake # 11. Luckily I saw this thread, thanks OP.
Happy to help, Kamz. Glad to have helped! Smile
(2012-07-15, 12:39 AM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]Happy to help, Kamz. Glad to have helped! Smile

Thanks and I will recommend this guide to my friends. This is very useful.
Biggest mistake is owning a forum when you have no clue how.... that's how some of the genre's don't go well anymore. Too many kids do the open/close ones and therefore no one really cares what's new what's not in such and such genre.
Pages: 1 2 3