MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Common Webmaster Mistakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think the biggest mistake that many people make is becoming a "webmaster" in the first place. After spending some time in the Showcase, I've noticed that many (somewhat) well-intentioned people make forums without really thinking it through. And I don't mean thinking the process of building the forums and a community. I mean the step before that: should I start my own website, or not?

If you want to start a forums for any of these reasons, you're probably better off not:
  1. You think it's an easy way to make money
  2. You just want to be the boss
  3. You want to have the most stars and permissions
  4. You think you can do a better job than a more popular forum in your niche
That isn't to say these all will necessarily "disqualify" someone from making their own forum, but it's clear that some people start websites very hastily. Instead of becoming an admin of an empty forum, why not join a great, existing community and become a worthwhile contributor yourself?
I wouldn't think that 4 in cappazushi's list is a bad thing, necessarily. At least, as long as you actually have a game plan, and don't just wait for it to happen. If you're proactive, and try to be the best, then you have a shot (unless you're trying to beat out HF or the like).
I agree with Odin. All your points are good, but 4 is less so. If I want to challenge Anxiety (thinking of wrestling so yeah) in his niche, why not? In the end it creates competition and users will get more updates, or the site will die because it failed to keep up. Competition is good if you're smart about it.
Depends. If you don't give a orange about wrestling, and just want to compete for the sake of competing, I don't think you're doing much good.
(2012-07-17, 01:31 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]orange about wrestling
lol, even that word is filtered?
I actually enjoy triggering the swear filter.
Alright, well, let me change point four to the "full version."

4. You think you can do a better job than a more popular forum in your niche, but really you're just mad at that forum because you used to be a member but the owner is a corrupt jerk and...

Basically I'm referring to all the people who make clones of Hack Forums, deny that they are cloning it, and then later admit that they are a former, possibly banned, member.

That, or people who don't realize that it's better to co-exist than to challenge. Some potential users just prefer smaller communities.

Note: I didn't want to put that all in their originally because I didn't want to hurt feelings.
That mostly describes HF kids xD

Don't start s forum when you are mad for being kicked out other communities, please don't.
On point 4 >> You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

If a potential user comes to your site/forum and you are not ready - the site is not finished, content is minimal - then they probably will not join up. Even though they may come back another time, the initial "new site" shine is lost and they may never join at all.

Bear this in mind:
About 10% of your users will be thread starters and general content generators.
About 30% of your users will be reply types - they will answer an existing topic but will not make their own.
The rest - will lurk.

So, can you really afford to miss even one sign up if only 1 in 10 is going to be the kind of member any forum needs to be able to grow and generate content?
Leefish makes great points. The first impression is a very important one. Make sure you're ready, not half way there at best.

And I understand what you meant about #4, and I 100% agree. You still have to enjoy your topic. Don't go into your niche seeking out specific competition, just be ready to bypass other sites any way you can to make yours the best. You do love your site, right?
Pages: 1 2 3