MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mountain Lion for Mac Released Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2012-07-25, 06:14 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]$20 for a pretty thorough system refinement strikes me as a pretty good deal. If you don't want FB or Twitter integration, don't connect to those services. Most people are using one of those services at least, so it's a good value for most consumers.

It's more the idea of paying $20 for a whole bunch of stuff I don't need and it doesn't appear I can get rid of. I'd be fine with paying $20 for upgrading the core of the system, with performance, a few system-level features, and security updates for the most used system parts. It's the idea that I have to accept the social media stuff, calendar updates, mail updates, iMessage, and photo booth. If they force the Chinese features in to all of the installations then that too (surely Apple can't be that stupid, though). I understand others might want it, but the whole reason I chose MyBB is to get a core system with a few addons that only have what I need. Hell, the only reason I'm not running Linux or BSD is how much of a PITA they can be to get configured (and in the case of Linux the ideology behind their definition of "freedom").
@Firestryke31

What ?

You don't have to use any of that stuff. If you don't use specific features they are completely removed from everything. Its not forced on you any way what so ever. Also people are not held a gunpoint and told to download the new OS. Obviously this is not for you so you wont be downloading it, no point in bitching about something that doesn't appeal to you. If it doesn't appeal to you then of course its going to be a waste of money.

Im not buying windows 8 when its released, because I don't want it, it doesn't appeal to me. Most of the features that mountain lion has will be a fantastic addition to me personally.

Im beginning to feel that you have more of a problem with "Apple" in general rather than the $20 for mountain lion.
The complaint about Chinese support is rather weird. Obviously if you don't use your computer in Chinese, you are never going to notice the change.
It's not the fact that I wouldn't use it, it's the fact that it's still there whether I use it or not (talking about the general "useless to me" features, not specifically the Chinese changes that I don't know are always included). At least with MyBB I can delete calendar.php and it's gone, I don't have to worry about it being compromised, and it's not taking up resources like space. You can't do the same with the Twitter integration, or really any of the integrated stuff. It's too integrated and interdependant.

I don't have a problem with Apple (other than overpriced PC hardware). I have an iPhone, iPad, and put up with iTunes on my PC despite other software doing a (arguably) better job. I like that their stuff tends to be "get it and go." Like I said, I'm fine with $20 for the mountain lion system upgrade. I have a problem with not getting to choose what goes on my computer and use my resources. It's the extra apps and "features" that could easily be a separate download and install but instead are forced on me that I don't like.
But you do have a choice, don't buy it. With respect, I think what your saying is ridiculous. What about all the windows bloatware that comes as core with windows operating systems. Personally Id rather have options such as twitter and Facebook than a load of crap installed on my PC that means absolutely nothing to me. Bloatware on a windows PC is a pure marketing tool.

Where in the world are you going to get an OS that is completely tailored to "your" needs. That just aint going to happen, ever. Can you honestly say to me that you regularly use every feature on any OS you've ever used ? Of course you can't. I bet theres features on windows or other OS systems that are core features and you never use. So whats the difference in those features and the features you mentioned on mountain lion ?

The way your talking, I think you need to contact Apple and order a custom OS because if your going to rant and rave about one or two features in every OS release, you'll never want to upgrade.

Bottom line is, an operating system is created for people worldwide, not for 1 specific person. There has to be some level of compromise.
am i on g or something

srsly guys

guys

srsly
this is so goddamn dumb. thanks a lot.
(2012-07-26, 12:14 AM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]But you do have a choice, don't buy it.
I'm not buying it. I don't have a Mac, so I can't run it. I'm just stating my opinion, which was the purpose of the thread (that I got on to after recovering from the PCvsMac debate).

Quote:What about all the windows bloatware that comes as core with windows operating systems.
Who said I liked any of the bloat that came with Windows?

Quote:Personally Id rather have options such as twitter and Facebook than a load of crap installed on my PC that means absolutely nothing to me. Bloatware on a windows PC is a pure marketing tool.
This twitter and Facebook stuff is to me as that "load of crap" is to you.

Quote:Where in the world are you going to get an OS that is completely tailored to "your" needs. That just aint going to happen, ever.
Linux, but that has it's own can of worms.

Quote:Can you honestly say to me that you regularly use every feature on any OS you've ever used ? Of course you can't. I bet theres features on windows or other OS systems that are core features and you never use. So whats the difference in those features and the features you mentioned on mountain lion ?
To me, there is no difference between the useless features in Windows versus the useless features in OSX versus the useless features in vBulletin versus the useless features in Opera versus the useless features in any software. It's useless to me. I don't want to deal with it taking up my resources.

Quote:The way your talking, I think you need to contact Apple and order a custom OS because if your going to rant and rave about one or two features in every OS release, you'll never want to upgrade.
I don't know where you get the idea that a dislike of useless features means a refusal to upgrade. There's plenty that I dislike about Windows, but here I am on 7 as opposed to Linux or Mac. Even if I did use OS X, I would still upgrade because there are things I do like about the update. I just wouldn't be happy about the whole thing.

Quote:Bottom line is, an operating system is created for people worldwide, not for 1 specific person. There has to be some level of compromise.
I get that. I'm not telling them to stop what they're doing. It doesn't affect me. I just stated I don't like all of the app updates being played as an OS upgrade. MyBB is also a system created for people worldwide, yet has taken an ala-carte approach to what it is. I wish Apple had taken that approach to OSX, but it didn't happen.

I guess the big problem here was that people took "I don't like the useless stuff" as "the whole thing is useless." I should have been more clear that there were still things I thought were interesting or good (like the inline file copy/download progress, Power Sleep, and some of the streamlining).

As of this point, I think I've stated my opinion (rehash: some bad, a little good, mostly meh) and hopefully clarified it enough to not need to further comment in this thread.
i can't believe you're comparing a php forum software to an OPERATING SYSTEM. this is absurd. let alone comparing MyBB's potential audience to OS X ...

Quote:hopefully clarified it enough to not need to further comment in this thread.

god, me too.

reviews seem fairly positive, and predictable: nothing ground breaking and a nice tune-up for $20. notification center and icloud seem to be the killer features.
In the end this thread should have never been allowed to run its course. Lets be honest the outcome can be predicted from the start:

Windows users hate Apple users
Apple users hate Windows users
Linux users dont care either way they can customize there OS to suit there needs exactly.

My opinion about what OS I prefer, i have to say windows. Generally they are cheaper to buy and honestly there isnt much difference for most area's between them. Gaming is more annoying in my opinion on a IOS but not impossible with boot camp etc.
For the rest customer support is not really something you can measure. For one person it sucks for the other it was a great experience.

Servers = Linux
Desktops/Laptops = Windows
Tablet = IOS
Mobile Phone = Android.

Thats how it is for me currently, though i have to say i dont hate the windows server either. Its just different, the only server system i really hate is apple's attempt in that area.

For the rest its all based on opinions, one hates the windows "bloatware" installed by companies like dell, acer etc. while others find it useful. There is on the other side enough bloatware on both the OSes.

Simply put IOS used to be the OS for video/music editing and be "malware proof" well those times are gone now a days. Yes IOS comes with everything pre-installed well a lot pre-installed. On the other side the windows options or the linux options are not much worse.

Pick what you like most, since honestly every OS is good in some area's and worse in others.
Now somebody lock this since this thread is going places.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5