MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ouya - Open source $99 console
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
There's already a great platform that almost everyone owns that can run games on your TV and use whatever controller you want. It's called a PC.

I don't understand the hype about this thing -- mobile phone innards running a mobile phone OS hooked up to your TV. People just rally behind anything that attaches the words "open source" to its mission statement. Consumers don't care about open source. They care about games and power.
True Brad but looking at the kickstarter page this thing is already making money before selling 1 after initial release.
It's going to be more important that developers for Ouya can make money. I don't think they will be able to.
That's easy though. It uses the android market which means there are tons of games for it already. And, with things like the old Final Fantasies now coming out I don't think they'll have too much trouble.
(2012-07-29, 06:05 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]That's easy though. It uses the android market which means there are tons of games for it already. And, with things like the old Final Fantasies now coming out I don't think they'll have too much trouble.

How many game developers are actually making money selling on the Android market? This is an open source system on which piracy will be rampant.
I'd be more interested in using this as an emulator, would be easy to do. I doubt even the tegra 3 could emulate the ps2/gamecube/xbox generation though. And yeah, piracy would be rampant but there will always be those willing to support indie developers (such as the people who raised the money on kickstarter). I think it's an interesting concept and am considering buying one.

Edit:

(2012-07-29, 04:39 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]There's already a great platform that almost everyone owns that can run games on your TV and use whatever controller you want. It's called a PC.

Find me a quad core pc with a controller included for <$100.
Also, don't game developers have to modify their game to run on this? Normal games on the android market wont run (according to TotalBiscuit's video about it)
(2012-07-29, 07:47 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Also, don't game developers have to modify their game to run on this? Normal games on the android market wont run (according to TotalBiscuit's video about it)

Modification would be simple, pretty much controller compatibility would be the only large change.
Yeah, so for a while you'd have to play most games with a dumb touch screen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uya2-w_chUY
(2012-07-29, 07:20 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-29, 06:05 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]That's easy though. It uses the android market which means there are tons of games for it already. And, with things like the old Final Fantasies now coming out I don't think they'll have too much trouble.

How many game developers are actually making money selling on the Android market? This is an open source system on which piracy will be rampant.

I don't think so because if it's like android is they can just put ads on the free games. And, looking at the market the ones grossing the most money are the free games (although there are some paid ones up there as well). And, I've paid for a few games on my android now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5