MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ouya - Open source $99 console
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2012-07-29, 06:49 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I may buy this if they announce netflix on before the 10 days are up because otherwise I'll just get roku personally.

And, I'm assuming it's because the SDK doesn't cost a penny.

Doesn't Netflix already work on Android?
(2012-07-29, 06:40 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see how indie games is an argument for this console. Both PlayStations, Xbox 360s and PC's have indie game capabilities Confused

(2012-07-29, 06:49 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]And, I'm assuming it's because the SDK doesn't cost a penny.

That. They may have capabilities but all of the existing consoles require a somewhat large amount of money just for the sdk and even more to get it published. Indie games also aren't very prevalent on current consoles and do not get all that many downloads with the exception of a few. This seems to be geared specifically towards indie developers.

(2012-07-29, 06:49 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I may buy this if they announce netflix on before the 10 days are up because otherwise I'll just get roku personally.

It will probably have netflix capabilities. Netflix is currently available on android and if there isn't an official port there will be a user created one soon enough.
Think of this for a moment: What major developer would use this? The answer is few. Now I love Kariosoft, and some of their games are in development for PC. Because they were successful. App developers should do that.

What Ouya is doing is, they see a market, and they are adding that as their games as the market. Games that aren't made for this system. It's not gonna be anywhere as fun as an Xbox, Ps3, or for that matter the sega. :/
You mean wii? Because sega hasn't come out with a console in years and this can do anything the dreamcast could.
(2012-07-30, 12:31 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]You mean wii? Because sega hasn't come out with a console in years and this can do anything the dreamcast could.

I mean like the last sega console. I'd honestly have more fun with that then this. It'd be pretty much the same quality of games.
Many indie games have huge followings, and I'm sure many of them along with new ones will be created for this system considering it will be easy to port from android to this.

Edit: About the sega this could emulate that.
(2012-07-30, 12:01 AM)Jammerx2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-29, 06:40 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see how indie games is an argument for this console. Both PlayStations, Xbox 360s and PC's have indie game capabilities Confused

(2012-07-29, 06:49 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]And, I'm assuming it's because the SDK doesn't cost a penny.

That. They may have capabilities but all of the existing consoles require a somewhat large amount of money just for the sdk and even more to get it published. Indie games also aren't very prevalent on current consoles and do not get all that many downloads with the exception of a few. This seems to be geared specifically towards indie developers.

Huh? The SDK for ios is free, the SDK for Xbox is free. Yes, both have a $99/year subscription fee that you are required to pay when you want to release your game but that is a relatively small cost. For PC you can release it yourself or go through gamersgate/steam/desura all for free (minus costs from commision).
Final Fantasy coming to OUYA.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5