MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Reposting question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm wondering which is right?

I saw one general forum, they member share news article for discussion.
Usually they copied and paste then link back source to the news website.

Is that even legal?
I use a lot of articles from other websites on my forum and I always put the source, but not a link. I have checked this out before and never reached a conclusion on the full legality, but a lot of top news websites do it so I assume it's ok to have something like Source: mybb.com

I to would be interested to what others think.

Thanks.
Yes that is fine. You are allowed, by law, to quote a news article as long as you give attribution to the original item.
(2012-08-02, 09:06 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Yes that is fine. You are allowed, by law, to quote a news article as long as you give attribution to the original item.

What if there is such thing on the news site

Quote:This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form except with the prior written permission of xxx.
(2012-08-02, 09:39 AM)Hunz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-02, 09:06 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Yes that is fine. You are allowed, by law, to quote a news article as long as you give attribution to the original item.

What if there is such thing on the news site

Quote:This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form except with the prior written permission of xxx.

Then I would recommend you ask for permission first to be sure.
But most of the News site has that copyright and I still can see those general board's member posting it with links. I don't think they seek permission before post.
It is called breaking the law and not giving a monkeys. You don't have to do it too.
What if i write based on what i understand about the news and link it?

Main point is like want to discuss about the news with forum member. Will it violate the law?
Well, if you copy paste then yes. If you rephrase then no. It might be best to do a synopsis of the main points and then link to the full article.
Even if there is a notice stating it may not be reposted you can usually still post some quotes as long as you give attribution. As it would be classified under fair use.
Pages: 1 2